1319Re: [TalkAntietam] Books in my Library

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Apr 23 7:15 PM
      In a message dated 4/23/04 9:08:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
      james2044@... writes:
      I have the Sears, Preist and Harsh books on the battle and Preist's
      book on South Mountain. What else would the group recommend? Now,
      when I'm at Antietam, where is the best place to buy it?
      See NPS website at http://www.nps.gov/anti/ for weekend hikes.

      See http://store.yahoo.com/antietammuseum/ for Antietam bookstore.

      BLUE & GRAY MAGAZINE: the Visitor Center has copies of the issues focusing on
      Antietam. Each is well worth purchasing. Subjects include West Woods, Crampton
      ’s Gap, Hood’s Attack, etc.

      DISASTER IN THE WEST WOODS by Marion Vince Armstrong.
      Fairly new tactical study limited to Sedgwick’s assault into West Woods. I
      recommend it.

      The MONUMENTS AT ANTIETAM book is nice to have when looking for the stories
      behind the various monuments in the park.

      The TRAILHEAD GRAPHICS map of Antietam is about $9 and a great reference tool.

      The BURNSIDE’S BRIDGE book is a decent micro-study of action at the bridge.

      The book on Crampton’s Gap battle (I have it but can’t recall title) is
      detailed account of that battle. I recall some comments about having occasional
      errors.

      Kathleen’s Ernst’s TOO AFRAID TO CRY examines the impact of the battle on
      local civilians. If this interest you, this book is the perfect source.

      BIVOUACS THE DEAD by Steven R. Stotelmyer
      Great book that includes the histories & rosters of Antietam National
      Cemetery, Washington Cemetery, Mt. Olivet Cemetery, and Elmwood Cemetery. Not a study
      of the battle but interesting reading about post-battle burials.

      I just finished McPherson’s CROSSROADS OF FREEDOM ANTIETAM and found is just
      okay and too short. It’s puts the Antietam campaign in perspective but
      provides merely overview of the campaign.

      I recommend that you get the various free brochures at the VC on South
      Mountain, Cornfield Trail hike, etc.

      I heard two Gettysburg guides (Gary Adelman & Tim Smith) are soon to release
      an Antietam photo-study.

      No further word on Gettysburg Ranger Scott Hartwig's writing of an Antietam
      book..

      Tom Shay - Cressona, PA