1230Re: Widow Shackleford

  • Jeff
    Jan 31, 2004
      Mark.
      I have wondered about property being destroyed , did the
      govenment pay for these losses or did each person have to rebuild on
      their own? I am sure each case was treated differently and subject
      to political connections or loyalties. Was Mrs Shackleford loyal to
      the Union or Confederacy?

      Thanks
      Jeff

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "antietam111" <antietam111@m...>
      wrote:

      > Greetings to all!
      >
      > I'm hoping the collective wisom here can help me find some
      > information on this dear woman.
      >
      > Mrs. Margaret Shackleford was a widow with 2 children living in
      > Sharpsburg at the time of the battle. Unfortunately, her little
      > house on Antietam Street did not survive the battle. It was
      > destroyed by artillery during the battle. One source says the day
      > before, on the 16th. Luckily, she was able to rebuild a house on
      the
      > same site and lived there until her death in 1889. I currently
      reside
      > in that house and would like very much to hear from anyone else who
      > has an additional incident on this woman or the incident in which
      her
      > house went bomb! (so to speak).
      >
      > I have seen several references to the event (too afraid to cry,
      > Schaff's History of Western MD, newspaper, etc.)but nothing with
      more
      > detail. A trip to the National Archives for a possible claim for
      > damages resulted in an empty folder! So, I am somewhat at a loss
      on
      > where to turn next.
      >
      > Has anyone seen or heard any additional news on this incident?
      >
      > Thank you!
      >
      > Mary Stevanus
      > Sharpsburg, MD
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic