1120Re Gods and Generals

    Feb 9, 2003
      Group,

      To add some thoughts to Ollie G's kind post, G and G is most
      definitely NOT a movie in the lines of Gettysburg.

      Let us all hope the general public who may go to see G and G
      will be spurred and motivated to look into the Civil War in
      all its complexities much as Gettysburg of ten years ago
      spurred many others. Let us also hope that G and G will
      re-ignite interest in many other Americans much like
      Gettysburg (which followed somewhat shortly after Ken Burns'
      Civil War series, IIRC), which certainly not only re-ignited
      my own interest in the ACW but spurred me on to different
      levels of involvement. Today, thanks to the Burns series and
      Gettysburg I am a living historian of the Civil War, an
      amateur Civil War historian, a writer of a column on a Civil
      War website and working on a historical fiction novel based
      on the Maryland Campaign of 1862. Not too shabby a result
      for a miniseries and a movie!

      Finally, I hope G and G will help us to remember and honor
      the memories of the common soldiers of the Civil War...for G
      and G is as much their story as it is the stories of Lee,
      Jackson, Hancock and Chamberlain.

      Very respectfully,
      Your humble and obdt. servant,
      G. E. (Gerry) Mayers,
      Private,
      Nelson's Signal Company,
      Longstreet's Corps

      "I know of no fitter resting-place for a soldier than the
      field on which he has nobly laid down his
      ." --General Robert Edward Lee

      Explore some little known facts of the War of the Rebellion!
      The current feature may be found at
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/picketline.html
      To see earlier articles, kindly go to:
      http://www.us-civilwar.com/njrebel