1112Re: [TalkAntietam] Hartwig's talk on Iron Brigade

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Feb 7, 2003
      In a message dated 02/07/2003 9:52:11 AM EST, gerry1952@... writes:
      << However, the time of when the Iron Brigade began advancing seems a little
      odd to me, particularly when most accounts state the Federal advance
      began at first light, which would be between 5.30 and 6.00 am. >>

      Perhaps he meant that they began their hurried assembly into formation at
      that time and not necesarily took their first steps towards the south? Scott
      noted that when the troops encamped, they had no idea as to their surrounding
      geography. The troops were wet but so exhausted that many references comment
      on their deep sleep. Their early awakening was initiated by officers who were
      notified that Reb batteries were spotted on Nicodemus Hts and they were
      in-range.

      FYI..for the past 8+ years, I've parked at the Cornfield around 6 AM and
      walked along the pike to the North Woods to join the 7 AM anniversary hikes.
      I recall that one can see fairly well by 6:30 AM (if there is no fog), so
      wouldn't be 5:30 AM in 1862 timekeeping?

      Of course we all know that any time references to hours/minutes during battle
      are commonly inaccurate.