1074Smalley's "Witness to Mutiny"

  • Curt Johnson
    Dec 10, 2002
      I've read war correspondent Geo. W. Smalley's article, "A Witness to Mutiny at Antietam," in which he alleges an attempt by Lt. James Wilson of McClellan's staff to sound-out the wounded Hooker (via Smalley) on replacing Mac as commander of the AoP while the battle was in progress. Smalley wrote his article in 1894 and did not name Wilson in it. Sears mentions the episode in Landscape Turned Red. The staff officer, of course, was "boy wonder" James Harrison Wilson, who ended the war a storied cavalry leader and maj. gen. I am curious if anyone besides Smalley mentioned or alluded to this incident.