1060Re: [TalkAntietam] 17th Michigan

  • Teej Smith
    Nov 26, 2002
      Scott Mingus wrote:

      > I have read that the Stonewall Regiment lost 141 men at South
      > Mountain. Does anyone know how many men they carried into that fight
      > (or into Antietam as I can then calculate how many they had a South
      > Mountain). I've heard anywhere from 500-982 in terms of the numbe rat
      > South Mountain.
      > What contemporary sources are out there, and what do they say?

      Scott, I'm not sure if this is what you're after but Jeffry Wert writes
      in his "A Brotherhood of Valor: The Common Soldiers of the Stonewall
      Braigade, C.S.A, And the Iron Brigade, U.S.A., "A recent estimate has
      calculated the average Confederate regimental strength at 166 and
      comparative Union numbers at 346. In the Stonewall Brigade, the figures were
      starkly worse. jackson had detached the Second Virginia and assigned it to
      provost duty in Martinsburg, Virginia, reducing the brigades regiments to
      four. Colonel Andrew Grigsby commanded the Virginians with a lieutenant
      colonel, a major, and two captains serving as regimental commanders. The
      brigade's reported strength at Sharpsburg was 250 officers and men, an
      average of slightly more than sixty per regiment.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic