1043Re: James M. McPherson's Antietam

  • james2044
    Oct 22, 2002
      David

      I enjoyed the book. It was marketed as a battle history, it is a
      overview of the war to September 1862 and the effects the battle had
      on the war. I don't think that anyone disputes his statements but
      their is nothing new in the book. I think I expected more from him
      and from the book.

      James

      PS did you get a signed copy?

      --- In TalkAntietam@y..., "David Lutton" <dunkerch@c...> wrote:
      > I don't believe McPherson's goal was to give another "history" of
      the
      > battle. Rather than to emphasize its effect as an important
      turning point
      > of American history.
      > I was present at his discussion/book signing at the visitor center
      in Sept.
      > History and writing about historical events I believe periodically
      takes a
      > decidedly revisionist turn. For me it was refreshing to hear
      someone to give
      > a talk on the period using basically contemporary sources. And his
      > conclusions, that, yes, Mac was a poor field commander, that the
      results of
      > the battle did indeed postpone possible foreign intervention and
      that the
      > release of the Emancipation Proclamation was an important new
      statement in
      > regards to the moral and political goals for the Union were well
      argued.

      > I enjoyed the talk and the book.
      >

      > David Lutton
      > Hollidaysburg Pa

      A Hood's
      > > Texas Brigade fan, in particular the 1st Texas.
      > > For an historian of his "stature" to not identify LTC. Philip A.
      Work as
      > the
      > > commander of the 1st Texas is inexcusable.(pg.119).
      > > When it comes to Antietam, i'll stick with Harsh and Clemans.
      > > best,
      > > John
      > >
      > > > I read this last week and would like other member's thoughts
      on the
      > > > book. I found it to be a very interesting review of the war
      up to
      > > > September 1862 but to have skipped over the battle. It might
      be the
      > > > title lead me to expect a book on the battle. I din't find
      any new
      > > > information or insights in this book.
      > > >
      > > > I did enjoy it and it is an easy read. At about $25 it is
      worth the
      > > > money.
      > > >
      > > > James
      > > >

      > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to