1028Re: [TalkAntietam] Youngest and Oldest Casualties

  • Ron Church
    Oct 13 10:04 PM

      I don't know if this is the youngest casualty, but it's a tragic story. The
      source is "Antietam, A photographic Legacy of America's Bloodiest Day" pg
      192 et seq. by Wm. A. Frassanito

      Charles E. King, from the borough of West Chester, Chester Co. Pennsylvania
      is listed as being 12 years, 5 months, and 9 days old at his time of
      enlistment on Sept. 9 1861. He enlisted as a drummer boy for Company F,
      49th Pa. Volunteers. In the early afternoon of the day of the battle the
      49th was in the vicinity of the north end of the east woods. A confederate
      shell lobbed in that direction exploded in their midst and young Charles
      King took a shell fragment through the body. He died three days later from
      his wound.

      If my math is correct he was 13 years, 5 months and 20 days old at the time
      of this death.

      Hope this helps

      Ron Church
      Manchester MD