Fw: Plant Guilds

  • Julie Gahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 16, 2013
      Introduction to Plant Guilds from the folks @ Midwest Permaculture

      Julie

      ----- Forwarded Message ----
      From: Midwest Permaculture <milton@...>
      To: juliegahn@...
      Sent: Wed, April 3, 2013 5:05:25 AM
      Subject: Plant Guilds

      Midwest Permaculture

      Plant Guilds

      Free Plant Guilds eBooklet

      Plant Guilds eBooklet

      Bryce Ruddock - Midwest Permaculture's Official Plant Guy

      Download the Free
      Plant Guilds eBooklet

      Like this eBooklet?
      -More Good Stuff Each Month-
      Subscribe to Our Newsletter

      Purchase a Printed Copy
      of the Plant Guilds eBooklet
      $20 includes shipping

       Enter your email on the right to Subscribe to Our Blog

      Join Bryce for an
      All Day Workshop on Plant Guilds

      August 17, 2013
      At Midwest PermacultureStelle, IL

      From the Forward

      As Midwest Permaculture grew, so did the number of requests from people looking for information and recommendations concerning what plants to add or combine to an existing tree on their landscape to create a useful plant guild. We referred them to Midwest Permaculture’s “Official Plant Guy”, Bryce Ruddock, who chairs the discussions of Plant Guilds on our networking site.  Eventually, we asked Bryce to design some foundational guilds as every day examples that would help guide those who are new to permaculture.  After he completed these we asked a PDC student of ours, Jesse Tinges, to use his landscape architectural skills to create the sketches.

      We have been sharing these plant guilds with the students in our Permaculture Design Certificate Courses and they found these guilds to be so helpful and informative that we decided to make them available to the wider public with Bryce and Jesse’s blessings. With the assistance of Milton Dixon’s editing skills they are now in a public format that is easy to share on the internet.  We hope that you find them practical, useful, and inspiring.

      The team effort that emerged to create this booklet is actually a good example of how guilds, plant or human, really work together. The drawings and narratives seeped into the soil of our collective efforts and continued to germinate until they materialized in the form that you see here.

      While the drawings in this booklet give a simple bird’s eye view, know that in three dimensions we are filling in all the spaces and niches from the overstory or canopy tree (generally what the guild is named after) down to the soil. In addition, the plant guilds have root systems that cover every depth –mimicking that which exists above the ground, below, and include the incredibly important functions of the fungi and mycelia.

      A successful plant guild will naturally evolve over time and will have diversity, interdependence and good relationships, as is needed in our human relationships as well. Resilience naturally occurs in such systems, strengthening the whole community.

      Please use, experiment and enjoy!

      Becky Wilson
      Cofounder – Midwest Permaculture
      March 2013

      A permaculture design for an ash tree plant guild.A permaculture design for a plant guild that works to support bees.A permaculture design for a plant guild that works well with an evergreen tree.
      A permaculture design for a plant guild that works well with hazel.A permaculture design for a plant guild that works well in a small orchard.A permaculture design for a plant guild that works well with an oak tree.
      A permaculture design for a plant guild that work well with a serviceberry.A permaculture design for a plant guild that work well with a walnut tree.A permaculture design for a plant guild that grows well in seasonally wet soil.

      The post Plant Guilds appeared first on Midwest Permaculture.

      Plant Guild Workshop

      A Full Day with Bryce Ruddock
      Author of the Plant Guilds e-Booklet

      Next Scheduled Workshop   —  Saturday, August 17th  –  9:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
      Price:  $95.00  Includes Lunch and printed copy of the Plant Guilds eBooklet  ($20 value)
      At Midwest Permaculture in Stelle, IL  (Limit 24 Students)

      Register Online  -or-  Call 815-256-2215 (Voice Message or Text 815-782-2216)

      Bryce will Cover the Essentials:

      1. What is a Plant Guild
      2. What are the Key Elements
      3. What are the Functions we are Designing For
      4. What, Where & When Should we Plant
      5. How Plant Guilds make up a Food Forest
      6. Locating Key Plant Databases and How to Access Them online
      7. Sources for Good Plant Stock

      Students Will Also:

      1. On Walk — Identity Naturally Formed Plant Guilds
      2. See Plant Guilds Created by Midwest Permaculture
      3. Help Design and Actually Plant a Guild with Bryce
                                Bring Your Gloves…!!!

      Private Consultations with Bryce… If you have a specific project and would like Bryce’s undivided attention and recommendations, we will set a few private, 1-hour appointments on Saturday evening and Sunday Morning.  Call ahead to reserve… or… seek out Bryce following the workshop should you feel you still need additional assistance. Price: $95.00/hr.

      Bryce Ruddock - Plant Guilds eBooklet

      Plant Guilds eBook

      Hard Copy Included in Price of Seminar
      Plant Guilds eBooklet by Bryce Ruddock

      Guilds Included in eBooklet                     Free Download Here

      • Ash Tree Guild
      • Bee Guild
      • Evergreen Guild
      • Fruit Tree Guild
      • Oak Tree Guild
      • Service Tree Guild
      • Tree Hazel Guild
      • Walnut Guild
      • Wet Meadow Guild

      Pictures of Bryce and Debby Ruddock’s Home – South Milwaukee, WI

      Bryce Ruddock Home (1)

      29 Years Ago

      Bryce Ruddock Home (2)

      Today

      Bryce Ruddock Home (3)

      Looking Over the Fence into the Yard – Over 300 Species of Plants

      Bryce Ruddock Home (6)

      The Walkways Help Define Sections of the Yard and Allow Access to Densely Planted Guilds

      Bryce Ruddock Home (4)

      The Garden Ponds Create a Micro-climate for a Wide Assortment of Additional Species of Plants

      Bryce Ruddock Home (5)

      Bryce Harvesting a Rice Crop from his Pond

      More on Bryce…

      A Walking ‘Plant Encyclopedia’ – Gardener Extraordinaire – Plant Forager
      Host of the Plant Guild Forum on our Networking Site

      Bryce holds a Permaculture Design Course Certificate (with Midwest Permaculture) and received his Permaculture Teachers Training Certificate with Jude Hobbs of the Permaculture Research Institute U.S.

      He has been practicing permaculture techniques at his suburban property in South Milwaukee since 1984 with his wife Debby.  They are currently redesigning their 1/4 acre home site to allow for year-round food and forest products harvest.

      Because of his vast plant knowledge, we asked Bryce if he would become Midwest Permaculture’s official ‘Plant-Guy.’  As such, he and Debby now host our “Plant Guild” public forum on the Midwest Permaculture networking site.

      bannerNetworkingCommunity

      What is a Food Forest?

      A food forest is essentially a collection of plant guilds that make up a young forest environment which is rich is food and other plant resources that are useful to humans, wildlife and the soil.

      During this workshop students will learn the basics of food foresting and will be able to see the hugelkultured swale and location of the linear food forest designed for CSC land project.

      While the tress and shrubs are in the early stages of growing  (small) we will use the open space to grow some of our annual vegetables.  We will also plant some nitrogen fixing ground covers and dynamic accumulators to help build the soil.

      While the tress and shrubs are in the early stages of growing (small) we will use the open space to grow some of our annual vegetables. We will also plant some nitrogen fixing ground covers and dynamic accumulators to help build the soil.

      The post Plant Guild Workshop appeared first on Midwest Permaculture.

      You are subscribed to email updates from Midwest Permaculture
      To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
      Email delivery powered by Google