Fw: [SGCdiscuss] Grow Your Own Vegetables Gardening Course--please forward.

  • Julie Gahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2009
      I've heard good reviews of Dr. Bey's courses from folks who have previously attended them.

      I'm particularly interested in the "emphasis on growing nutrient dense vegetables".

      The John Jeavons approach has also been previously recommended to me.  I have that book & will bring it to the Tahlequah Farmer's Market on Saturdays if anyone would like to have a look at it.

      Finally,  I'm hoping to make arrangements to go to the Aug 15 course; will let you know & offer car-pooling space if I succeed.

      cheers,
      Julie

      Saturday, August 8, 2009
      Saturday, August 15, 2009

      Each class covers the same material.  Sign up for one class.  Classes will be held from 8:00am – 5:00pm, at Harmony Gardens at 8779 W. Forest Hills Dr. in Fayetteville.

      Pre-registration is required.  Each class is limited to 15 people.  The cost is $75.00 per person, and includes the gardening book,  How  to Grow More Vegetables… by John Jeavons, and 60 pages of material prepared by the instructor.   If you have the Jeavons book, deduct $15.00.  For couples, who want to share the book and other handouts, the cost is $125.00.  You can register by sending a check to Calvin Bey, 8779 W. Forest Hills Dr., Fayetteville, AR 72704.  Please provide name, address, telephone number, and email.  Call Calvin at 479-527-6951, or email cfbey1936@cox. net  for more information.

      The course includes concepts and practices on how to establish and maintain your garden, with emphasis on growing nutrient-dense vegetables.  The concepts apply to flowers and yards.  Course material is well documented, and includes many practical tips from 50 years of gardening experience.  Topics include soils, soil testing, soil biology, selecting the garden site, tools, double-digging, composting, plant spacing, fertilizing, watering, companion planting, mulching, vermiculture, compost tea, green manure crops, nitrogen fixing crops, winter cover crops, winter gardens, pest management, weeds, paramagnetic effects, and organic gardening resources.  See http://harmonygarde ns.blogspot. com

      Who Should Attend:  The course is designed for those with little to much gardening knowledge and experience.  There will be time for questions and sharing of information.   Get your AR soil test done before the course.  Calvin will assist students with soil test interpretations, and provide help on fertilizer recommendations.  Call if you have questions regarding these items.

      Instructor:  Dr. Calvin Bey grew up on a farm in Michigan and is a retired USDA Forest Service scientist, with a deep concern about health and environmental issues.  Over the past 50 years, he has gardened in ten different geographic areas, and has trained under John Jeavons using the Grow Biointensive® approach.  He has studied gardening extensively, attended Acres USA Conferences, and has grown more than 40 kinds of vegetables and fruits in his garden in Fayetteville, AR.