Work weeds and cover crops

  • Denise
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2011
      We had a good work session Saturday - Julie, Tami and I worked on some of the worst weeds. Don't worry - we saved some for the rest of you!

      We have a start on mulching the main pathways - a good layer of cardboard with plant material on top. Because we have lots of weeds and no good place to put them, I started using them on tops of the cardboard. As we continue this process, be sure to put any Bermuda, Johnson grass and weeds with seeds outside the fence. Julie started putting this in the alleyway itself which is a great place for it. Anything else too big or otherwise unsuitable for mulch can go there also. Please bring any low-ink cardboard you can find to the garden. If anyone wants to use my truck for picking up mulch materials, just let me know.

      I have the cover crop seeds for the garden. I divided it into one pound sacks. Each sack will do 1 - 2 rows. The seed needs to be innoculated just prior to planting, so rather than leave it for individual planting, I will be coordinating the planting. So, let me know when your row is ready and I will meet with you to plant it, show you how, or plant for you, whichever works out best. I will be out of town the 12th thru 16th so be sure to plan around that or make arrangements to get with me before I leave

      Happy Fall!
    • Autumn Breezes
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
        Denise,
              I joined the weeding group Saturday, but I guess you had already left, but you certainly can't tell by my rows that I got much done, but I truly did.  I mostly pulled Johnson grass.  I was wondering if you have my gate.  It was there recently and I drove up to get it, but now it's gone.  If you need to use it now, please do.  I'd just like to know where it is and get it back for next year, but there is NO hurry whatsoever.
             Also, I have a tomato plant that has somewhat grown between two beds, and it is still bearing, so I hope it won't get pulled.  It's a cherry tom between the bed that Abrahm serendipitously weeded for me and the bed next to that.  There are, of course, lots of weeds around it, but I hope it can remain until the first frost/freeze.
              I hope to get back up there soon.  Mallory is playing basketball, and it's running even more ragged than usual.

        Thanks for all you do, Denise.

        Susan

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 5, 2011
          I did have to leave early sat to get puppies shots - glad you were able to make it! I dont have the gate, it is possible that Abram moved it when he pulled the morning glories off the fence - I will ask him and look around for it when I am there tomorrow.

          I'm assuming that the tomato you are speaking of is in the southeast section, just north of the trees? we have no plans to work in that area anytime soon. My first focus is to finish the beds just north of the east herb bed, the first row is already planted with cool weather crops, the second has been turned once and will be again, then cover-cropped, and the third was Jill's - i will leave the tomatoes there and cover crop the rest. That just leaves your two rows on that end, which I wont bother (and will try to keep Abram out of them lol).

          I also plan to work in the southwest section (eric and melissa's old rows) where Julie and Tami started weeding, as well as continue to mulch the main path. From the 12th to the 16th I will be out of town, and when I get back I will reassess what else needs attention. So, your areas should be safe (for now - lol).

          Denise LaGrand
          918-931-9600

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 7, 2011
            Denise,
                  I did look around for the gate but couldn't find it, but a second look from Abram or you might help.  I can't always see what's in front of me.  I must admit I'm terribly directionally impaired, so I get turned around in the garden quite easily.  East, west, north and south to you might mean something totally different to me.  I think my inability to know direction is genetic.  However, my twin sister seems to be a bit better at it than I, perhaps because she has travelled more.  Anyway, hopefully the gate will re-appear in the future. Thanks for emailing me back.

            Happy Gardening--

            Susan

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 11, 2011
                Wow!  I got my gate AND a lesson in directions.  Thank you, Denise.  I was at the garden on Saturday and saw the gate but didn't have my car, so I"ll have to leave it there until I'm driving--which isn't often.  Thank you so much.  I truly am directionally impaired, but I must be a tad better than some as I am VERY aware that left and right change depending on the direction one is travelling.  But I'm still a long way from moving to the front of the class concerning directions.  I mostly use sunrises and sunsets to eastablish myself, which means I'm clueless unless it's dawn or dusk----hehehhe

                Thank you, Denise--

                Susan