You're Invited: August 15 Tahlequah Food Policy Council Meeting

  • Julie Gahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 5, 2011

      A Food Policy Council can be described as (from www.statefoodpolicy.org): "Food Policy Councils convene citizens and government officials for the purpose of providing a comprehensive examination of a state or local food system. This unique, non-partisan form of civic engagement brings together a diverse array of food system stakeholders to develop food and agriculture policy recommendations."

      We are interested in brainstorming and discovering how we can support policies that improve our entire food system including: production, processing, distribution, consumption, and waste management.

      We will continue the work begun with Mark Winne in Tulsa during the Cherokee Nation Healthy Action Institute.  Files that capture the brainstorming we did with Mark, the document "Food Policy Councils: Lessons Learned", and a short survey that we distributed may be viewed at the GreenCountryFPCnet Yahoo Group:   http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GreenCountryFPCnet/files/6-28-11%20FPC%20Kickoff%20Meeting/

      (If you need help joining the Yahoo Group or accessing the files, please email juliegahn@... or call Julie at (918) 207-9107.)

      Please come even if you weren't able to attend the Tulsa session. If you were in Tulsa, please bring a friend!  Meeting details are as follows:

      When:  Monday, August 15 from 6-8 pm

      Where: Tahlequah Public Library, Carnegie Room

      RSVP:  Please reply to Julie Gahn (918) 207-9107 or juliegahn@... to let us know:

      1) if you'll be attending the meeting

      2) if you'd like to be added to our email distribution list to be notified of future meetings.

      We hope to see you there!

      Rita Scott, Bud Scott, Doug Walton, and Julie Gahn,

      Sustainable Green Country -- Food Policy Council Team