Starting Second Tahlequah Community Garden in 2009!

  • juliegahn
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      Hello,

      We're working hard to get the second Tahlequah Community Garden started this year, and I thought I should share this information with folks on this list.

      For a variety of uncontrollable reasons, we're getting a late start, but we were in similar circumstances last year & still had a great growing season.

      Please let me know as soon as possible if you want space to grow this year. We'll have a garden planning meeting on April 11th (1 pm at First Lutheran Church, Tahlequah), and if we haven't broken ground by then, we'll start as soon as possible.

      Thanks to last year's Farmer's Market shoppers and a matching grant from Thrivent Financial for Lutherans, we have about $2100 to support community gardening this year. We may need to pay to have a water meter & spigott installed. Fencing & drip irrigation also add up quickly, but I think we'll be able to get a good garden going this year.

      I think the following ground rules will help us all have a good growing season. We can discuss further at the planning meeting.

      2009 Tahlequah Community Garden Ground Rules:
      + Use "organic" methods. (They work; we're happy to teach folks how.)
      + Keep weeds under control in your section & help in the common paths (There is no one else maintaining the paths & other common areas.)
      + Donate 10% of what is grown back to the Tahlequah Community Garden to be sold at the Farmer's market to raise funds for a third garden next year.
      + Help prepare the ground (tilling, mixing in soil ammendments, putting up fence if needed)
      [I'd like to make this fun; like the old barn-raising gatherings]
      + Help prepare the garden for the winter at the end of the season (Includes planting cover crops as appropriate--we'll provide the seeds.)

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Julie Gahn
      Tahlequah Community Garden Coordinator
      (918) 207-9107