Straw bale update

  • Julie Gahn
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
      Hi everyone,

      The straw bale delivery will now be on Sunday.  We're doing it with two small pickups and could really use a couple more small pickups or a trailer if anyone has one a small pickup can pull???

      We'll be delivering 26 bales in town--11 of those go to places other than the community garden.

      Diane Goldian with Sparrow Hawk Community Garden will be contacting me Sunday afternoon to arrange a time to meet.  We'll probably do this toward evening as temps cool off.

      Please email or leave me a message at (918) 207-9107 if you want to help.

      Julie

    • Denise LaGrand
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2011
        The shared asparagus bed was planted today and it could use a daily watering until it gets established. Also we also put some okra in a small space just south of sue's west bed (in the same row as the garlic) and it could use a daily watering as well. So if anyone is at the garden in the next few days and has a few minutes to spare, please give these two areas a good watering

        The community herb bed is doing very well and it could also use watering twice a week (the east bed needs more water than the west). The herb beds now have a light layer of mulch. It won't do much to prevent weeds but it will help conserve water and keep the plants cleaner during watering and when it rains, and it looks good :) we labelled most of the herbs ( tho I had help from some teens who weren't sure how to spell things lol) and many things are ready to use. The arugula is perfect size for picking and adding to your salad. Also please pick dill, sage, pineapple sage, mint, garlic chives, parsley, basil and cilantro as all are ready for harvest and regular picking will keep them in good shape thru the season. Most herbs benefit from taking shoots here and there rather than cutting all the leaves. An exception are chives which tolerate a 'flat top' haircut.

        I still have no contact info for Tony, Melissa and Eric and only a phone number for Jill (no email). If anyone has contact info please let me know so we can schedule a time to work on the water system and come up with a plan for managing weeds in the common pathways, along the fences, and in other common areas (including the trees).

        Julie - you had suggested some wood chip mulch - is this still an option? Also, is there any plan for a south fence? There is a stray black lab named Molly who seems to have made the garden her home and I have seen a woodchuck near there several times. As produce starts to ripen, this may become a problem

        I have a full-size pickup and a horse trailer if you need it for hauling straw. You are welcome to borrow either or both

        Denise

        Sent from my iPhone

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
          Hi Denise and all,

          I'm going to respond to the questions I have info on in the order in which they occur:

          Eric receives the TahlequahCommunityGarden yahoo group emails and we're trying to get Melissa connected to them.  (Just sent another invite to her yesterday.)  I'll send you phone numbers I've got in a separate email & you can write them in the book if you'd like.

          Jill doesn't have email.

          I'll send Tony's contact info in that separate email.

          Getting cattle panels for the south fence is near the top of my to-do-list.  First step was to ask you if you had any luck negotiating donations or 1/2 price offers with anyone?  If that hasn't risen to the top of your list, I'll take it on as I'm going to be getting some for our farm & I thought I'd try your suggestion of seeing if anyone would give a reduced price for community garden.  I'll make phone calls as soon as possible if you haven't been able to yet.

          Wood chips for paths--I'm going to start a separate email thread regarding wood chips for paths.

          I also received an email from an 81 yr old "18-yr old" ;-) who "grew up in the garden" and would like a little space.  Is there a spot she could use?

          Thanks and Happy Gardening!

          Julie

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 3, 2011
            I'm going up to do some watering and picking soonish if anyone wants to come help or just say hi!

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2011
              Good morning!

              I'm thinking that with the heat (and the continued forcast for same) that it's time to start running the water system fairly regularly.  I'd be happy to turn the water on and off for a 2-3 hour soak in the evening.  Or if morning is prefered, I could turn it on if someone else could commit to turning off.

              Would three times a week be adequate?  Maybe Monday, Wednesday and Friday?  I was originally leaning toward every other day, but got concerned that folks wouldn't be able to keep up with what days would be watering day.

              Let me know what you think.  With the drip system, turning it on for just the few minutes some of us are in the garden isn't very effective.

              Sue

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2011
                Sue,

                I think Mon-Wed-Fri for 2 to 2.5 hrs each would be a good place to start.

                I found the timer for the watering system when we moved last week.  When could we meet to show you how it works?

                Thanks,
                Julie