Re: [TahlequahCommunityGarden] Garden Update 4/30

  • Sue Catron
    Message 1 of 10 , May 1 8:04 PM
      Hi Denise -

      I have a few squash and cucumber seed left - parts of packets, which I'll leave in the shed for you.  I was going to do some weeding in Tami's beds, but wasn't sure what is planted where and was afraid I'd be disturbing seed.  If you'd like to leave a map to that area (rough is fine), I'd be happy to help with maintenance.

      Now that a number of us have potatoes out of the ground, we're going to need to be covering those plants soon.  Does anyone have a lead on clean straw or other good mulch materials?

      Sue

          Message 4 of 10 , May 2 4:45 AM
            Thanks sue for the seed. I have planted some things ( but no seed yet, so most of the plants are evident) in all tami's beds except the northernmost beds by the fence. Feel free to weed those-they are infested with Johnson grass and we plan to put asparagus there, which will be a permanent shared planting. I plan to move that trellis to the herb bed for the berry vines, so feel free to move it if it's in your way

            I do have a rough map drawn of her area-I will rework it so it's legible to more than just myself - lol and leave it in the shed with the new herb bed map also ( some of those pesky herbs did not land in their assigned spot!)

            As for potatoes, mine are doing fantastic, and this was my technique: loosen the soil, lay the potatoes, cover lightly with compost, cover lightly with straw, cover straw with leaves.  Water thoroughly to mat the leaves.    As the leaves sprout, add more compost and leaves

            In the past I've used only straw but because I couldn't find organic,, I wanted to minimize straw use. I was afraid to put the leaves directly on the potatoes (leaves decompose by fungal action, not bacterial) so wanted that protective straw layer.

            Sent from my iPhone