Re: [TablEdit] Message posting

  • Michael Joyce
    Message 1 of 24 , May 25, 2017

      Hi Rex,

      I seldom go directly to the Yahoo site, preferring instead to get my TablEdit Forum posts in my email.   At the same time I got this message in my inbox, your 2 messages about audio off on TE while running Windows 10 were in my Junk Email folder.

      I've had that audio problem myself a couple of times and I've received a couple of cries for help from friends with that problem.   What we've all done is go to the audio settings and MIDI settings in TE and that has generally cured the problem.   However, once I had to reinstall the previous version of TE and I ran that version until a new version was released.   And that solved the problem.

      I'm not suggesting to do that, but rather it's what I did.   Most of the recent improvements to TE have little to do with my use of the program so going back to a previous version isn't much of a big deal to me.

      Good luck and when you discovered the source of the problem, I hope you'll let us all know.

      Best regards,

      Mike

      Message 2 of 24 , May 27, 2017
        Mike,
        Thanks for the response. I have recently noticed that each time I open TE the MIDI settings window appears and that there is a different character or sets of characters that appear in the MIDI out window. I have no idea what may be causing that but it does not seem right.
        I would like to reinstall the previous version of TE, as that one seemed to work OK. How do I get a previous version?
        Using email to provide notification seems like a good idea. How do I set that up?
        Thanks for the help,
        Rex
      • rex_perry
        Message 3 of 24 , May 27, 2017
          Mike,
          For your info, I did manage to download an older version of TE, V2.76d2a, and it had the same problem, both with loss of audio and the MIDI window with the strange characters.
          I am stumped.
          Rex
        • andis59@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 24 , May 27, 2017

            I have Windows 10 and TablEdit 2.77 a0, and MIDI works perfectly!

            If you open TablEdit and select MIDI - MIDI Setup and click on the Midi Out drop down box, which devices is listed?

            Do you have any hardware MIDI devices or some Software MIDI device?

            // Anders

            Message 5 of 24 , May 28, 2017
              Anders,
              The TE program worked fine, as far as I know, until I downloaded the latest version, V2.77a0. After that was downloaded each time the program was opened the MIDI setup window would appear and different characters would appear in the MIDI out window.

              I am not sure if I know how to answer your question about MIDI devices or programs. I have not added anything recently and about the only MIDI related item on the machine is a program called "Chordpulse"
              The audio output works fine for other programs; it seems that it is only with TE that there is no audio.
              FYI, I did download an earlier version of TE as an experiment and the same problem occurred.

              In the MIDI setup window, with MIDI out and MIDI in there is a pull down window. There is not much there. In the MIDI out window the options are "none" and the character(s) the I referred to above. What should appear in the MIDI out window?

              Thank you for your help.
              Rex
            • Mike Volker
              Message 6 of 24 , May 29, 2017
                Rex,

                Yes I got that gibberish just like you. I downloaded a previous version by going to the special site with your password and look for previous versions to download. Worked for me. Again, no problem with windows 7 just windows 10. I have tabledit on two computers.

                Mike

                Sent from my iPad

                Message 7 of 24 , May 29, 2017
                  Rex,

                  I'll look to see what version I am using and relay the info. Very frustrating, I know.

                  Mike

                  Sent from my iPad

                  Message 8 of 24 , May 29, 2017
                    I noticed this morning that Mleschemelle had posted a new file to the screenshots folder which appeared to be on this subject. I thought that the problem was solved. However......
                    I cannot get into the MIDI MAPPER to add any information. I contacted the technical support group for this machine and they could not solve the problem.
                    I do not have any TE audio and I wish that I could figure out a way to fix it. Is there more to the screenshot that
                    Mleschemelle posted? perhaps some hints on how to get into the MAPPER?
                    Thanks
                  • rex_perry
                    Message 9 of 24 , May 29, 2017

                      Each time I open the TE program the MIDI OPTIONS window appears. This did not happen with earlier versions of TE.

                      Within the MIDI OPTIONS window there is a MIDI OUT and MIDI IN selection. The MIDI OUT has one or two characters, different each time the program opens.

                      The audio worked fine with previous versions of TE. I have removed and reinstalled V2.77a0 with the same results. This machine is a HP desktop running W10, version 1607.

                      I am unable to access the MIDI MAPPER to change the MIDI OUT selection as suggested by mleschemelle.

                      Suggestions to solve this would be appreciated. Thanks.

                      Rex

                      rex@...

                    • mleschemelle
                      Message 10 of 24 , May 29, 2017
                        Hi,

                        The screenshot I posted yesterday shows what the MIDI Setup dialog is supposed to display by default.

                        You should use the v2.77 version because I've fixed many bugs even they are not documented. This version is more reliable than any previous one.

                        IMHO the problem is with the new manifest file.

                        Open the tabledit.exe.manifest file in c:\\program files (x86)\TablEdit. It is a simple text file.

                        Delete the dependency section (lines 17 to 27), save the file, relaunch TE.

                        It this fixes the problem I'll update the distribution files.

                        Matthieu
                      • rex_perry
                        Message 11 of 24 , May 29, 2017
                          The following is a copy of the Tabledit.exe.manifest file. Highlighted text (lines 17-27) is what I understand should be deleted. My previous post did not delete enough lines. Sorry.
                          Rex
                          -----------------------

                          <assembly xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1" manifestVersion="1.0">
                           <assemblyIdentity
                            version="1.0.0.0"
                            processorArchitecture="X86"
                            name="tabledit"
                            type="win32"/>

                            <trustInfo xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v2">
                              <security>
                                <requestedPrivileges xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v3">
                                  <requestedExecutionLevel level="asInvoker" uiAccess="false" />
                                </requestedPrivileges>
                              </security>
                            </trustInfo>

                           <dependency>
                            <dependentAssembly>
                             <assemblyIdentity
                              type="win32"
                              name="Microsoft.Windows.Common-Controls"
                              version="6.0.0.0"
                              processorArchitecture="X86"
                              publicKeyToken="6595b64144ccf1df"
                              language="*"/>
                            </dependentAssembly>
                           </dependency>

                          </assembly>
                        • rex_perry
                          Message 12 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                            Matthieu,
                            I finally managed to change the TablEdit.exe.manifest file per your suggestion but unfortunately it did not solve the problem. The program acts exactly as before i.e. no audio.
                            I am puzzled as to why others are not having this problem. Could it be a difference in W10 for desktops vs tablets?
                            I will await your next suggestion. Thank you for your help.
                            Rex
                          • mleschemelle
                            Message 13 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                            • mleschemelle
                              Message 14 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                                Hi Rex,

                                Yes, it is the piece of text you should try to delete. I had also added the trustInfo section in the most recent versions of the manifest. You can try to delete it as well. But I don't think it is the solution since deleting the dependency section and rebooting the computer doesn't change anything for you.

                                In the meantime, I've tested TE with another W10 computer. The playback is OK

                                Such furtive problems are the worst ones :-(   But I'm confident we will solve it.

                                Here are some questions I'd like you to answer.

                                Have you already used TE on W10 in the past? What is the latest version that had audio?

                                What does display the first line of "Help->Diagnostic" about the Windows version?

                                Can you play a standard MIDI file on your computer?

                                The third question is critical. If you can't play a MIDI file with the Media Player, it means that some update has deleted or disabled the MIDI support.

                                Matthieu

                                Message 15 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                                  Matthieu,
                                  1. I have used TE on this W10 machine in the past. The latest version of TE that operated correctly was the one immediately prior to V2.77a0. The problem did not start until I downloaded 2.77a0.
                                  2. The first line of the help>diagnostic is..."Windows =6.1"
                                  3. I tried playing another MIDI file without success. Here is the text box that appeared.
                                      "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly.'

                                  I had successfully played MP3 files but neglected to try to play an MIDI file. I should have done that earlier.

                                  I hope that I have answered your questions to your satisfaction.
                                  Thanks for the help.
                                  Rex
                                • Steve McWilliam
                                  Message 16 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                                    Matthieu,

                                    I have been running TablEdit on Windows-10 since Windows-10 was first released and am now on the following build:  Windows 10 Pro, 64bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.332 - running on an Advent Q6003 Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 @ 2.33GHz with 8Gb of RAM.

                                    My TablEdit (Ver. 2.77 a0) manifest file reads as follows:

[...]

                                    The Diagnostic display reads:

                                    Windows =6.2
                                    UserName=[xxxxx xx xxxxxxxxx]
                                    Password=[xxxxxxx]
                                    v2.77 a0
                                    C:\Program Files (x86)\TablEdit\tabledit.exe

                                    (User name and Password are replaced with x's).

                                    I have no problems with playing midi (via TablEdit ver. 2.77 a0 or as a standalone midi file) though currently I tend to run TablEdit with VirtualMidiSynth (ver. 2.0.1) with the Timbres Of Heaven GM_GS_XG_SFX V 3.4Final.sf2 soundfont.  Midi files play fine with the MidiOut in TablEdit set to either Microsoft Midi Mapper or to Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth.

                                    The above probably does not help but I am hoping caomparison of Rex's info with mine might provide a pointer to his problem.

                                    Whilst I am on:  for a couple of years and many version of TablEdit I have had a minor problem whereby clicking the "Check for Updates" link on the Help menu item brings up the window BUT the Latest Info and Latest News areas are blank (just grey).  Is this anything to do with the manifest file ??  Do you have any ideas what may be causing this (minor issue) ??

                                    Cheers and thanks for all your support.

                                    Steve
                                    Steve J. McWilliam
                                    Guitar Tab: http://www.stevemcwilliam.co.uk/guitar/tab.htm

                                    Message 17 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                                      Rex,

                                      It sounds like your MIDI driver could have been knocked out for some reason - have you done recent Windows updates ??

                                      You could try to update your drivers by using teh free Driver Booster 4 program - see here:  http://filehippo.com/download_driver-booster-free/

                                      Good luck.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , May 30, 2017
                                        Thank you Rex for this quick reply.

                                        I do agree with Steve. You have to restore the MIDI out support on your PC.

                                        An interesting option is to install VirtualMIDISynth. You'll be able to use realistic sound fonts and it will fix the Windows issue. A few years ago, I uploaded a quite decent sound font (Scc1t2.zip) in the Files area of this group.

                                        Best.

                                        Matthieu
                                      • rex_perry
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Jun 1, 2017
                                          For the benefit of anyone who has been following this thread I would like to provide some comments on what I have found.
                                          When Windows 10 was released, or at least as it exists today, the MIDI mapper was removed. I am not really sure of what impact that has on TE because as I have stated, I thought that my MIDI files were still functioning.
                                          I discovered after I downloaded V2.77a.0 that I had no audio and the MIDI setup box would appear each time I open TE, along with a variety of strange characters in the MIDI out box.
                                          At the suggestion of Steve McWilliams and Matthieu I downloaded a copy of VirtualMIDISynth and the Timbres of Heaven soundfont.
                                          The soundfont file is quite large and is downloaded as a zipped file. It must be un-zipped before it can be used.
                                          There is a good tutorial link available on the VirtualMIDISynth webpage.
                                          I guess all in all the initial problem has been solved. Thank you to Steve and Matthieu for their assistance in getting to the solution.
                                          Rex
                                        • Alan Sheppard
                                          Message 20 of 24 , Jun 2, 2017
                                            Excuse my query, but I am new to TabLedit and wonder if the Mac new 277 mac version is available. It appears not, but every time I open the program it tells me I am out of date!

                                            Thanks,

                                            Alan

                                            On May 31, 2017, at 6:34 PM, rex@... [TablEdit] <TablEdit@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

                                            Matthieu,
                                            I have downloaded a copy of VirtualMIDISynth onto my computer, along with a copy of TE V2.77a.0. Perhaps you or Steve could give me some hints on how to get everything to work the way that it should.
                                            The MIDI setup window still appears each time the TE program is opened and the strange characters still appear in the MIDI OUT window.
                                            How does the VirtualMIDISynth program know to interface with the TE program?
                                            I hope that I am not getting in deeper than I want to be on this. Sorry for the inconvenience.
                                            Rex

                                          • mleschemelle
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Jun 2, 2017
                                              Yes the v2.77 is available for Mac.

                                              Please refer to the instructions that were emailed to you in order to download the right version.

                                              ---In TablEdit@yahoogroups.com, <alan.sheppard@...> wrote :

                                              Excuse my query, but I am new to TabLedit and wonder if the Mac new 277 mac version is available. It appears not, but every time I open the program it tells me I am out of date!

                                              Thanks,

                                              Alan

                                            • A Sheppard
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Jun 2, 2017
                                                Thanks,

                                                I remember getting only one email and that indicated that 2.77 was available, but there was no v2.77 available no matter where I looked. All I could find is the last current version just below 2.77!

                                                I will go back through my mail, I guess.

                                                Thanks for the help!

                                                Alan

                                                =======

                                                Message 23 of 24 , Jun 4, 2017
                                                  Alan,

                                                  You have to download the update. It is not available on your computer.

                                                  Since you are a very new user, you should still have the message with your reg code.

                                                  If you have lost it, we'll resend it to you.

                                                  Matthieu

                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Jun 4, 2017
                                                    Matt,

                                                    Thanks very much for following up and yes I found the email late last evening.

                                                    I "followed the proper instructions" and and upgraded.

                                                     I was going to email you back to let you know.

                                                    All my fault for not following simple instructions!

                                                    Thanks again,

                                                    Alan

                                                    I have to be more careful reading emails