TablEdit on iPad?

  • Matthieu
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
      Hi,

      I get numerous request for porting TablEdit on iPad.

      I'm almost sure it's not a god idea but I'd like to discuss it with the users.

      Technically, there is no problem to add some basic editing features. It will be tricky to select the right location without a stylet but except that, no real problem.

      The problem is with Apple policies. We can't reserve the app to registered users like the PPC version. It is also forbidden to ask for a password within an app sold on the
      appStore... And unfortunately we can't sell the app 60 USD ;-)

      So one solution is to avoid existing tef files to be edited.

      The user would have to create a new document (for one instrument), to edit it and save it. This document could be later enhanced in TablEdit.

      It would be possible to import and edit ASCII, ABC and MIDI files. And obviously to save the result as a new tef file.

      But once again exisiting tef files would be read only.

      One other solution is to define an intermediate format which can be read and edited both by TablEdit and "iTablEdit". But who can't be read by TEFview or TablEdit Demo.

      Please let me have your thoughts. Take your time, there is no urgency.

      Matthieu
    • HeidiL
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 4, 2012
        Mathieu,
        I don't understand any of this tech stuff. I have been sitting here for a very long time in the background listening on this forum and using this great product. All I can say is I have well used this program for what I paid especially having free upgrades. I would not have any problem paying for an iPad version. The time that you put in to keep your customers happy is nothing short of amazing and I don't think you need the headache of trying to give all of us a free iPad version as well. My two cents!
        Heidi Litke
        http://www.redsandsukuleles.com
        http://www.jumpingfleasocial.com

      • stephengreenhalgh@tiscali.co.uk
        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
          Hi
          I don't have an ipad (yet?) but if I did I'd use it like sheet music on my music stand. I'd edit and create files on my pc and view on the ipad. So can't see the point of an ipad version with stupid apple restrictions on price which would not justify the investment unless tabledit subsidised it.
          My three penneth (no euros or dollars here!)
          Steve G

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
            Matthieu,
            I agree with Heidi: I have no problem with buying the app for the iPad in addition to the version I bought for my Mac.

            It would be so cool to tab on the iPad and save the pdf directly to forScore!

            Doug Snapp
            Columbus, OH USA

            On Feb 4, 2012, at 11:36 PM, HeidiL wrote:

            > Mathieu,
            > I don't understand any of this tech stuff. I have been sitting here for a very long time in the background listening on this forum and using this great product. All I can say is I have well used this program for what I paid especially having free upgrades. I would not have any problem paying for an iPad version. The time that you put in to keep your customers happy is nothing short of amazing and I don't think you need the headache of trying to give all of us a free iPad version as well. My two cents!
            > Heidi Litke
            > http://www.redsandsukuleles.com
            > http://www.jumpingfleasocial.com
            >
            > --- In TablEdit@yahoogroups.com, "Matthieu" <matt0308@...> wrote:
            >>

            >> Hi,
            >>
            >> I get numerous request for porting TablEdit on iPad.
            >>
            >> I'm almost sure it's not a god idea but I'd like to discuss it with the users.
            >>
            >> Technically, there is no problem to add some basic editing features. It will be tricky to select the right location without a stylet but except that, no real problem.
            >>
            >> The problem is with Apple policies. We can't reserve the app to registered users like the PPC version. It is also forbidden to ask for a password within an app sold on the
            >> appStore... And unfortunately we can't sell the app 60 USD ;-)
            >>
            >> So one solution is to avoid existing tef files to be edited.
            >>
            >> The user would have to create a new document (for one instrument), to edit it and save it. This document could be later enhanced in TablEdit.
            >>
            >> It would be possible to import and edit ASCII, ABC and MIDI files. And obviously to save the result as a new tef file.
            >>
            >> But once again exisiting tef files would be read only.
            >>
            >> One other solution is to define an intermediate format which can be read and edited both by TablEdit and "iTablEdit". But who can't be read by TEFview or TablEdit Demo.
            >>
            >> Please let me have your thoughts. Take your time, there is no urgency.
            >>
            >> Matthieu

          • lakuhns
            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
              My suggestion would be to create the TE version for edit that only allows creation or editing one instrument tefs. It could then be saved and loaded into the normal TE for additional editing (adding other instruments, etc.). It should be able to open multi-instrument tefs for playback, but only the first instrument can be changed. That way, any modification of other instruments would require the full PC/Mac version of TE.

              I'm not sure how program size fits into the picture, but you could probably be selective of the features that are included. At a minimum, the "Ruler", "Notes", "Special Effects", "Hand" and "Dynamics" palettes are needed. The "Tools" palette would also be nice to have, at least some of the items (Text, Reading List, Insert/Delete Measure, Tempo Change, Adjust Notes Up/Down A String, MIDI Options)

              If you have the current TE capability of using the edit display to activate "Key Sig", "Time Sig", "Instrument/Tuning", "Title Information & Notes", then no "Score" palette would be needed.

              With these features, Most operations currently available in TE could be duplicated in an iPad version. I can't imagine anyone wanting to edit music on an iPhone. This should give you some food for thought.

              On another note, I would suggest you consider creating the same apps for Android devices. The Android smartphone market share is almost the same as all other OS's combined. While it is making remarkable strides in gaining on iOS. iOS currently has 60% of the market, but in 2011, Android went from 29% to 40%. A rather sizable gain.

              Larry
            • Dave Teague
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
                This is exactly my thoughts. I've recently acquired an iPad and have put
                all of my music on via iCloud, to read on a music stand as I would sheet
                music. It has the benefit of being backlit. I just want to have the ability
                to put my tabledit files on also, so that I can read/play them, not
                necessarily editing them. This can be done, as you say, on my laptop and
                then transferred via iCloud.
                I have downloaded the free Tefview app to my iPad but don't know how I can
                upload the tabledit files to it.
                Dave T

                On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 8:45 AM, <stephengreenhalgh@...> wrote:

                > Hi
                > I don't have an ipad (yet?) but if I did I'd use it like sheet music on my
                > music stand. I'd edit and create files on my pc and view on the ipad. So
                > can't see the point of an ipad version with stupid apple restrictions on
                > price which would not justify the investment unless tabledit subsidised it.
                > My three penneth (no euros or dollars here!)
                > Steve G
                > Sent from my BlackBerry� wireless device

                David Teague

              • Jeff Greenlee
                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 5, 2012
                  I'd like to second the notion about paying for Ipad apps....but I would
                  like to add my two cents about that as well!
                  I believe the coming demands of the market are going to force Apple to
                  relax some of its idiotic app store policies...why? It's taken some
                  time....but competing tablet Choices are just starting to catch up!
                  Android has been ambling clumsily along...but I think manufactures are
                  beginning to produce I-pad alternatives that non geeks will actually want
                  to buy.... And I think Microsoft has been wise this time around and not
                  rushed to fill the void with a poorly designed and poorly tested OS.
                  I think when Windows 8 is released later this year....the whole tablet
                  landscape is going to change. Microsoft's biggest challenge will be
                  building up a collection of apps that will draw users into their
                  camp!....but I am starting to believe they are going to surprise
                  everyone! If they can make the prospect of developing apps more
                  attractive , with less restrictive control over things like how much a
                  developer can charge for an app, and what mechanisms are used to ensure a
                  user is a qualified paying customer..... (to the 3rd party dev that
                  is..like you!) More developers will start hopping on board!

                  I know the android OS and hardware has some ugly limitations (so far!)
                  Regarding music making...(and displaying at the same time - as Tabledit
                  requires!)....Apple is, so far, way ahead in that department! Music
                  making on Android is kind of a joke...a novelty.... Like playing a
                  game. I don't think MIDI is even a concept.... No hardware supports
                  it....so nobody takes it seriously....which is too bad! I've played with a
                  few ABC Apps...and they look really ...ummm... Well very disappointing.

                  But I'm pretty sure Windows tablets (when they start hitting the market)
                  will be much more robust.

                  .....so maybe it's not time yet...but looking ahead....I'm just saying
                  that there are alternatives....

                  and Apple may soon be under pressure to make some policy changes! One can
                  hope anyway!

                  Jeff

                • Stephen Greenhalgh
                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                    Dave

                    I have previously requested that a download facility for iOS TefView
                    such as to Dropbox (or iCloud) would make loading files much easier than
                    using iTunes to update iPhone/iPad (such a drag!) and can be done "on
                    the move"
                    I have the PDF reader app that has a cloud download facility and which
                    previously I used to download pdf tef files.

                    Steve G.

                    On 05/02/2012 20:53, Dave Teague wrote:
                    > This can be done, as you say, on my laptop and
                    > then transferred via iCloud.
                    > I have downloaded the free Tefview app to my iPad but don't know how I can
                    >
                    > upload the tabledit files to it.
                    > Dave T

                  • PLA
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 6, 2012
                      I'm trying to understand why you wouldn't just output your TablEdit files to
                      PDF's? Personally, the iPad is not of interest to me as I'm on Android, but
                      hopefully whatever you do for the more expensive Apple system you'll end up
                      doing for Android.
                      To restate, why not just create PDF's and upload them to your "cloud?" I do
                      that all the time with Android, and making PDF's from TEF's is a piece of
                      cake (at least on the PC).

                      Second, I also see no good reason to create NEW TEF's on a tablet. Perhaps
                      editing existing might be worth it, as one might correct or embellish files
                      while playing them, especially away from home/with groups and such.

                      Thanks for a most marvelous product!

                      Pete A

                      Amateurs practice until they get it right, experts practice until they can't
                      get it wrong
                      (Faith Duck)

                    • Matthieu
                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 8, 2012
                        Hi,

                        From the app, the help file is accessible via the info button at the right corner of the screen.

                        For convenience, we have set four new pages up:

                        - www.tabledit.com/ios/help_e.shtml (English)
                        - www.tabledit.com/ios/help_f.shtml (French)
                        - www.tabledit.com/ios/help_d.shtml (German)
                        - www.tabledit.com/ios/help_j.shtml (Japanese)

                        They describe the features of the next update (1.2) that I'm going to submit to Apple for approval but the file transfer procedure is applicable to vertsion 1.1.

                        Thanks for your contributions, I'm reading them carefully. I would just note that a pdf doesn't make any music ;-)

                        Matthieu

                        > I have downloaded the free Tefview app to my iPad but don't know how I can
                        > upload the tabledit files to it.
                      • Mark
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 9, 2012
                          Matthieu,

                          I also agree with Heidi on your amazing efforts to service your "flock" of TablEdit devotees (count me among them). Your idea of being able to write out tabs and edit them for 1 instrument on an iPad version of TableEdit is appealing. If there were someway to check in apps that only those who are registered users, e.g., paid their $60, could access a TablEdit app, that might be an idea, but, as you say, this may involve inputting a password that Apple won't allow currently.

                          I also have been enjoying your TEFView on the iPad for listening to several dulcimer tabs that I arranged. Very useful while on the road.

                          Hope you can come to a resolution on how to make iTablEdit a reality...perhaps with Apple's sanction or agreement with them to allow some ID checking for current users.

                          Thanks,

                          Mark Rose