Extra credit question! Remington/Underwood Noiseless chrome antenna

  • Robert Hayes
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2017
      Can anyone tell us what the small chromed/steel triangular piece atop
      the keycover is on a Remington / Underwood Noiseless standard
      typewriter?

      It reminds me of an industrial shark fin, or the small satellite radio
      antennas on cars.*

      http://sevenels.net/typewriters/small/RemNoiseless10_sm.jpg
      Here's one on Machines of Loving Grace

      *Are our Noiselesses actually literary Transformers, waiting for their
      wake up call from the Mothership?
    • yahuism
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 28, 2017
        It's the rest for the paper bail when it is pulled all the way forward.

        You're welcome.
        ==Michael Höhne
      • Robert Hayes
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 28, 2017
          > It's the rest for the paper bail when it is pulled all the way
          > forward.
          >
          > You're welcome.
          > ==Michael Höhne

          Good grief, you're right. Thank you.
          And talk about overengineering a piece of equipment!
          Somebody must have gotten a deal on formed steel.