underwood 5

  • Robert Simons
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 21, 2017

      Hey all you guys / gals who answered… I got the carriage to move, it was lubing and cleaning the gear and pawls that stop it going backwards, and is the winder for the ribbon. That cleaning made it function.  Now I am fighting the mechanism that moves the paper up one, two, or three lines.

      1st off, the top lever won’t move to 1, just 2 or 3 lines.

      2nd the lever to catch with your left hand to move the batten up doesn’t catch the gear that moves the batten.

      It seems the pawl that moves the gear is impeding the movement of the lever to choose number of lines. If I remove the lever that you push with your left hand, the piece the lever pushes against can move out far enough that the lever can then choose 1,2,or 3 lines. But it moves it back one space if I re attach the return lever.

      I have the books but don’t see the same mechanism I have the one is close but not the same. I am really baffled as to what has moved, and where it should be.

      Thanks for your insights, it has been very helpful.

      Rob Simons

      Sent from Mail for Windows 10

    • Richard Knoppow
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2017
        Congratulations on fixing the carriage. I think by batten you mean
        platen. The long lever on the left is the carriage return and line feed
        lever. It is adjustable. See p.51 of the Ames 1945 training manual for
        a drawing. This is about the same on all Underwood machines from before
        the Model 5 until late production. There are three adjustments: Two are
        in the form of the rubber stop studs that limit the range of movement of
        the lever. Both sides have eccentric studs under the rubber washers.
        They are held by nuts under the carriage. The third adjustment is a
        centering adjustment for the lever itself. The lever is held onto an
        eccentric shaft by a shoulder screw. The eccentric shaft is held in
        place by a nut and lock washer under the carriage. If the eccentric is
        not correctly adjusted or if the left hand stop is not correct the
        return lever will not move enough to engage the ratchet lever of the
        pawl that turns the platen. I had this problem on my No.6, which is
        identical in this section to the No.5 and a small adjustment fixed it.
        Sounds more complicated than it is.

        On 12/21/2017 6:40 PM, Robert Simons simons-r@...
        [TYPEWRITERS] wrote:

        > Hey all you guys / gals who answered… I got the carriage to move, it was
        > lubing and cleaning the gear and pawls that stop it going backwards, and
        > is the winder for the ribbon. That cleaning made it function.  Now I am
        > fighting the mechanism that moves the paper up one, two, or three lines.
        >
        > 1^st off, the top lever won’t move to 1, just 2 or 3 lines.
        >
        > 2^nd the lever to catch with your left hand to move the batten up
        > doesn’t catch the gear that moves the batten.
        >
        > It seems the pawl that moves the gear is impeding the movement of the
        > lever to choose number of lines. If I remove the lever that you push
        > with your left hand, the piece the lever pushes against can move out far
        > enough that the lever can then choose 1,2,or 3 lines. But it moves it
        > back one space if I re attach the return lever.
        >
        > I have the books but don’t see the same mechanism I have the one is
        > close but not the same. I am really baffled as to what has moved, and
        > where it should be.
        >
        > Thanks for your insights, it has been very helpful.
        >
        > Rob Simons
        Richard Knoppow
        1oldlens1@...
        WB6KBL
      • Robert Simons
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 2017

          Thanks all for the advice. I have finally got the line feed to work, it turns out that the pawl that moves the platen, was in the wrong position. It had fallen forward when we removed the carriage. So it was riding in the wrong place. I took the lever off and could make the clearance enough to move the pawl up on the lever which chooses the number of lines.

          Then I was trying to make the tab button function. I finally found the tab which moves the carriage free of the gear, so it can slide to the Tabular setting(s). The tab required some bending to get it to interact with the roller which lifts the carriage off the gear.

          Now, my Underwood #5 c. 1908… is typing again. It is really a nice machine.

          Thanks again for helping me.

          Rob Simons

          [TYPEWRITERS] wrote:

          > Hey all you guys / gals who answered… I got the carriage to move, it was

          > lubing and cleaning the gear and pawls that stop it going backwards, and

          > is the winder for the ribbon. That cleaning made it function.  Now I am

          > fighting the mechanism that moves the paper up one, two, or three lines.

          > 1^st off, the top lever won’t move to 1, just 2 or 3 lines.

          > 2^nd the lever to catch with your left hand to move the batten up

          > doesn’t catch the gear that moves the batten.

          > It seems the pawl that moves the gear is impeding the movement of the

          > lever to choose number of lines. If I remove the lever that you push

          > with your left hand, the piece the lever pushes against can move out far

          > enough that the lever can then choose 1,2,or 3 lines. But it moves it

          > back one space if I re attach the return lever.

          > I have the books but don’t see the same mechanism I have the one is

          > close but not the same. I am really baffled as to what has moved, and

          > where it should be.

          > Thanks for your insights, it has been very helpful.

          > Rob Simons

          Richard Knoppow

          1oldlens1@...

          WB6KBL

          ------------------------------------

          ------------------------------------

          Group Owner: Jay Respler.  Moderator: David Born. Honorary Moderator: Paul Robert

          <*> Your email settings:

              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:

              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              TYPEWRITERS-digest@yahoogroups.com

              TYPEWRITERS-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        • Bill MacLane

            [TYPEWRITERS] wrote:

            > Hey all you guys / gals who answered… I got the carriage to move, it was

            > lubing and cleaning the gear and pawls that stop it going backwards, and

            > is the winder for the ribbon. That cleaning made it function.  Now I am

            > fighting the mechanism that moves the paper up one, two, or three lines.

            > 1^st off, the top lever won’t move to 1, just 2 or 3 lines.

            > 2^nd the lever to catch with your left hand to move the batten up

            > doesn’t catch the gear that moves the batten.

            > It seems the pawl that moves the gear is impeding the movement of the

            > lever to choose number of lines. If I remove the lever that you push

            > with your left hand, the piece the lever pushes against can move out far

            > enough that the lever can then choose 1,2,or 3 lines. But it moves it

            > back one space if I re attach the return lever.

            > I have the books but don’t see the same mechanism I have the one is

            > close but not the same. I am really baffled as to what has moved, and

            > where it should be.

            > Thanks for your insights, it has been very helpful.

            > Rob Simons

            Richard Knoppow

            1oldlens1@...

            WB6KBL