Re: Typewriter Blogs

  • maschinengeschrieben
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
      Happy New Blog!
      mine is http://maschinengeschrieben.blogspot.com

      --- In TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com, "josephfrancisoneill" <josephfrancisoneill@...> wrote:

      > I have some blogs (my primary blog on theological matters, one on Dvorak typing, and ones I write for as a contributor), and I see that many typewriter fans have blogs about typewriters and even typed on typewriters.
      >
      > I enjoy reading them, even if just to appreciate the more civilised manner of writing. If people typed on typewriters like people type on cell phones, and even on computers, imagine the incomprehensible mess.
      >
      > Plus, it is a good way to show off one's collection when one does not have immediate reason to type something to another.
      >
      > I started a blog (http://typedonpaper.blogspot.com/) after getting my scanner up and running. Due to image load time concerns, it must be clicked to get the full size image.
      >
      > After reading it, I noticed that my "e" was dirty. I just cleaned it out and the contrast of the future post (which will be typed on the same typewriter) will be interesting I think if only to show the importance of minor maintenance.
      >
      > It is the end of the year and I hope all you have your years end properly punctuated! Two spaces after that is optional; I do not follow that convention.

    • Max Velati
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
        Happy New Year, Joseph!Here is my blog:
        http://ironandribbon.blogspot.com/

        Max

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
          I was taught in typing class in the late sixties that two spaces were required
          after a period, and after a colon; one space after a comma and after a
          semicolon.  I still do it.

          RK/TX

          ________________________________
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
            RE: 2 spaces after the end of a sentence. That is how I was taught in
            typing class in school and I have never quit it even in the computer age.
            All the technical writing I have done was that way also. It was the
            corporate standard as well as a bunch of other things to meet or exceed
            mil-spec.

            I've not had anything published for about 15 years, but the last I did I
            followed the standard conventions I learned in school and college. Must
            have worked my articles were published. Can't say the same for all my
            photo submissions.

            Happy New Year to All!
            Bill

            On Sun, Jan 1, 2012 at 10:01 AM, Richard Keistler
            <richardk55@...>wrote:

            > **
            >

            > I was taught in typing class in the late sixties that two spaces were
            > required
            > after a period, and after a colon; one space after a comma and after a
            > semicolon. I still do it.
            >
            > RK/TX
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Richard Keistler
            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
              Yes-when I was running a Mag Card  II for the chemistry dept at the University
              of Houston in the late seventies, where I was a chemistry major, we used ACS
              guidelines.  The desired font at that time was IBM Letter Gothic.

              You talk about a nightmare on elements!  If you remember, the standard IBM
              element had the requisite 88 characters.  For chemical manuscripts, then, the
              Symbol 12 element was essential.  The only way to generate these manuscripts was
              to put 'stop codes' in everywhere in the manuscript where the element had to be
              changed.  Then, when the machine stopped, the typist would swap the element back
              and forth.  You couldn't just skip the swapped characters and then replay it -
              believe me, I tried - because if the professor revised his manuscript, then the
              placement of text and formulae would be obviously different.

              It was very, very slow generation of manuscripts, and we used to buy Letter
              Gothic and Symbol elements by the big box because I went through so many of
              them.  Those little levers would break off.

              Richard K/TX

              ________________________________

              <richardk55@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > I was taught in typing class in the late sixties that two spaces were
              > required
              > after a period, and after a colon; one space after a comma and after a
              > semicolon.  I still do it.
              >
              > RK/TX
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Rick Griffin
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
                Hi, I'll ask my beginner's question about blogs: How do I receive blogs when they have been updated, automatically? Or do I have to check back from time to time to see if anything new is on them?

                Rick

                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
                  Hi, Rick!I don't know how to do it, but I'm sure that it' s possible using Google Reader. Someone told me that it's how she knows when I update my blog. She gets a sign saying that there is something new. I wish I knew more than this. Sorry for such weak help!Max

                  From: josephfrancisoneill <josephfrancisoneill@...>

                  To: TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 1, 2012
                    You can follow a blog and get updates that way. The "Follow" link at the top of the blog will get you update notifications sent to you.