Missing Typewriter Keys

  • jamesdilworth
    Message 1 of 5 , May 15, 2011
      Hello all,

      I've been using an Underwood Universal for various things for a while. It works fine mechanically and is clean, but it has several keys missing- the Q, )0, and left shift. I can't seem to find any info on how to replace these keys and mostly I find info about people breaking typewriters for their keys. So- what can I do?
    • Ned Brooks
      Message 2 of 5 , May 16, 2011
        It depends on your intent. If you are after authentic restoration, you
        would have to find a junked machine with matching key-tops, or buy them
        (shudder) from a key-chopper. But if you just want to type, it should be
        possible to make a key-top that would work. I have done it, as an
        experiment. There are plenty of hobbyists supplies available that allow
        a small simple object like a key-top to be cast in a durable material -
        moldable epoxy, JBWeld, casting acrylic, etc.

        On 5/16/2011 2:55 AM, jamesdilworth wrote:
        > Hello all,
        >
        > I've been using an Underwood Universal for various things for a while. It works fine mechanically and is clean, but it has several keys missing- the Q, )0, and left shift. I can't seem to find any info on how to replace these keys and mostly I find info about people breaking typewriters for their keys. So- what can I do?

      • raycy.japan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 16, 2011
          > it has several keys missing

          How about Mr. Schwalbach's gift of some porcelains to Wisconsin Historical Society?

          I'm sure it should not be appropriate, but,,
          If it were affordable for before S&G, some might be in Wisconsin Historical Society, once were of belongings of Mathias Schwalbach.
          http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=uc1.%24b728168&view=&q1=%22porcelain+keys%22
          http://kygaku.g.hatena.ne.jp/raycy/20110517/1305591172

          > several keys missing- the Q, )0, and left shift.

          Dr. JD :)
          http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt/search?id=njp.32101064987959&view=image&q1=%22Dear+Jack%3A+%29%22
          http://kygaku.g.hatena.ne.jp/raycy/20110508/1304804022

          ~rj

          Message 4 of 5 , May 16, 2011
          • JAY RESPLER
            Message 5 of 5 , May 19, 2011
              On 5/16/2011 2:55 AM, jamesdilworth wrote:
              > Hello all,
              >
              > I've been using an Underwood Universal for various things for a
              > while. It works fine mechanically and is clean, but it has several
              > keys missing- the Q, )0, and left shift. I can't seem to find any
              > info on how to replace these keys and mostly I find info about people
              > breaking typewriters for their keys. So- what can I do?

              Since the mfr no longer offers parts, the only way to get them is take
              them off another machine.

              I don't have parts, but I do have a complete working machine available.
              I'll accept offers.

              --
              Jay Respler
              ADVANCED BUSINESS MACHINES CO.