Vocabulary question

  • SheenaP
    Message 1 of 3 , May 15, 2011
      I have a quick question about some terminology I've heard. I've heard some machines referred to as 1, 2, 3, or 4 bank machines--what exactly does this mean?

      ~Sheena
    • Alan Seaver
      Message 2 of 3 , May 15, 2011
        "Bank" = row of keys. 3-bank means three rows of keys; 4-bank, four rows; etc.

        On May 15, 2011, at 7:55 PM, SheenaP wrote:

        > I have a quick question about some terminology I've heard. I've heard some machines referred to as 1, 2, 3, or 4 bank machines--what exactly does this mean?
        >
        > ~Sheena

      • Ned Brooks
        Message 3 of 3 , May 15, 2011
          On 5/15/2011 8:55 PM, SheenaP wrote:
          > I have a quick question about some terminology I've heard. I've heard some machines referred to as 1, 2, 3, or 4 bank machines--what exactly does this mean?

          How many banks you have to visit to get enough of the elusive spondulix
          to buy it.... Or is it the number of bounces when the UPS drops it? But
          seriously, it's the number of rows of keys on a keyboard typrewriter.
          The old Hammond had two, the machines with separate shifts for Caps and
          Figures usually have three. Modern machines have four. The old machines
          with no shift at all could have 8.