Re: [TYPEWRITERS] -3, -4 & -5 Underwoods

  • ssuthe7880@aol.com
    Message 1 of 66 , Nov 3 4:35 AM
      In a message dated 11/3/2009 1:53:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      jrespler@... writes:

      << Are you saying that the first ~50,000 model 5s were also marked
      'Wagner'? >>

      I couldn't attest to the exact numbers (though your math looks good to me),
      but yes, the first few years of Underwood No.5s and 4s, and maybe 3s, were
      labeled 'Wagner' on the back. Not on the paper table or the front of the
      machine -- the brand name was Underwood throughout -- but on the back, where
      the patent dates are, the first few years' worth of machines were identified
      as made by the Wagner Typewriter Co. This was replaced with 'Underwood
      Typewriter Co.' when the name of the manuracturing company changed. Judging from
      billheads I have, this would have been around the Spring of 1903ish.

      I've heard some collectors describe these Wagner-made Underwoods as
      'Wagners," which I think overinflates the significance of a decal. They're
      Underwoods, right 'n proper, and identified as such, the corporate name of the
      manufacturing company (as opposed to the sales company) being the point of
      distinction.

      There was a pre-Underwood machine actually called Wagner, which is
      illustrated from time to time by Rocky Jones et al, though I don't know of any
      manufactured examples. "The Typewriter Legend" shows a machine patented by one of
      the Wagners, which is mechanically different from both the 'Wagner' and the
      'Underwood' and was apparently not manufactured. This machine went by the
      unofficial monicker 'Wagner Prototype,' which would be technically correct,
      though this machine apparently didn't develop past its prototype stage. The
      machine was part of the Underwood collection.

      Anyhow, as convoluted as it sounds, early Underwoods were branded
      'Underwood' and labeled "Wagner' up to a point. I believe 1903 or 1904 was when the
      walking-dog escapement was superceded by the starwheel, so someone could
      probably make an argument that the 'Wagner-Underwood' was different than the
      'Underwood-Underwood,' but I'm inclined to think that's merely coincidental. As
      far as I can tell, the changeover from 'Wagner Typewriter Co.' to
      'Underwood Typewriter Co.' was more titular than mechanical.
      DONS.

      Message 66 of 66 , Nov 10 5:58 PM
        The Remington No. 2 is I believe the first dbl case machine and the
        No. 6 the first, I believe, light touch machine. The Smith Premier No. 2
        came out the following year and it too was a light touch machine. These two
        machines (No. 6 Remington and No. 2 Smith Premier) possibly ushered in the
        art of touch typing which reached more individuals (possibly more of the
        fairer sex as well) than that of the heavier touch No. 2 Remington and the
        No. 1 Smith Premier (only those with very strong hands could touch type on
        these machines).

        Dax

        _____

        From: JAY RESPLER <jrespler@superlink. net>
        To: TYPEWRITERS@ yahoogroups. com
        Date: Monday, November 9, 2009, 10:55 PM

        Charlie wrote:
        > Today I visited my neighborhood antique mall and found the Rem. 6
        > upstrike. Can anyone give me a price range? it's old and dusty but
        > looks like it would clean up for display.
        > Thanks - ceo

        I just found one on ebay that went for $150 so $100-200 should be a range.