Re: Books from NOMDA--SAVE THE BOOTY!

  • Lin Lewis
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 7, 1998
      Darryl,
      Rec'd e-mail regarding NOMDA books. It seems a shame to let these books and
      pubs get out of the hands of the collectors who will treasure them most.
      Are there any ideas cooking of how we could acquire the collection, then put
      it out on a private auction, much the way Hobie Van Deusen does his ribbon
      tin auctions?

      It's a huge amount of stuff, but it could be an ongoing project for a
      while, too. If we could establish a trustworthy location, perhaps to
      somewhere reasonable for shipping costs, then hold on-line auctions amongst
      onelist subscribers, or if not enough of us or enough buckazoids, perhaps on
      e-bay. I know these ideas are apt to land me in a volunteer position, but
      I'd be willing to put some effort into it as well as a reasonable
      contribution toward shipping, just to be sure these are preserved. Lord,
      think of what would be lost if they get dumpsterized.

      Is there any possibility that the lot of 5000 pubs and 2500 books could be
      split or has it all got to go to one bidder? How much would something like
      that weigh? And are they all in one location and where--Kansas City?

      Let's all try to figure out a way to keep these in the family.
      Lin Lewis
      lin@...
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 10, 1998
        Darn it, Peter, I knew this would happen! Well, you're the second batter
        up. Darryl knows the most about this, but the first step seems to be to
        find out from NOMDA if there is someone on that end we can coordinate with
        directly re packing and shipping. It's gonna be really expensive to send
        someone there to pack the stuff up.
        So Step 1: Shall I contact Harold Durheim at BTA and make a first contact?
        I am not totally comfortable with taking the lead unless I know that's what
        everyone interested wants. But I'll write/fax and ask if onelist people
        think it's a good idea.
        Step 2: We would need a central location to ship to. How would we
        determine this? Unless you live in a library, some 7500 pieces of work is
        going to be impossible to deal with.
        Step 3: We find a location. Then what? Do we sell stuff off? Donate it
        to somebody? How do the shipper/payors recapture their investment? Do
        they get first dibs? Who gets the treasures? This is like Aunt Sadie's
        will.
        If I make a plan, will everybody think I'm bossy?
        Somebody say "go ahead" or "butt out." Darryl, are you already doing this
        or is someone else on it?
        Lin

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 28, 1999
            NOMDA has stated that they are selling to the highest bidder.

            DR

          • Typeter@xxx.xxx
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 28, 1999
              In a message dated 1/28/99 9:12:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
              dcrehr@... writes:

              << NOMDA has stated that they are selling to the highest bidder.

              DR

              1) Do we have any idea of the current state of the feverish bidding war?
              2) Let's get together a slush fund and put in a respectable bid ($50 for the
              stuff and hundreds for the shipping).

              How about $100. per person? With just 10 or 15 people we could cover the UPS
              charge to Lin's place. Lin could divy the loot up into equal shares and send
              or sell.

              Anyone what to play?

              Peter
            • Fernando A. M. Costa
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 28, 1999
                Count me in.

                Best,

                Fernando

                At 09:31 AM 1/28/99 EST, you wrote:
                >From: Typeter@...
                >
                >In a message dated 1/28/99 9:12:07 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                >dcrehr@... writes:
                >
                ><< NOMDA has stated that they are selling to the highest bidder.
                >
                > DR
                > >>

                >1) Do we have any idea of the current state of the feverish bidding war?
                >2) Let's get together a slush fund and put in a respectable bid ($50 for the
                >stuff and hundreds for the shipping).
                >
                >How about $100. per person? With just 10 or 15 people we could cover the UPS
                >charge to Lin's place. Lin could divy the loot up into equal shares and send
                >or sell.
                >
                >Anyone what to play?
                >
                >Peter

                >Help keep Typewriter Collecting FUN!

                *************************
                <sfcosta@...>
              • Loyd Little
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 28, 1999
                  I just joined the list...and don't know NOMDA from FEDX. Someone got an
                  URL on this?

                  thanks..........

                  --
                  Loyd Little
                  Communications
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 28, 1999
                    OK by me. I have room for boxed storage under the tables the typewriters
                    are on - say 50 cu.ft.