70813Re: [TYPEWRITERS] Underwood 12

  • Eugene Gee
    Dec 22, 2017
      Just discovered that the main spring, the one that pulls the carriage when you hit the s/b or tab, is broken about 12" from where it connects in the middle. I've got an old Underwood manual, with the round glass top keys, and it looks like the spring inside would work but I don't want to part out the machine because it's a good working machine. Just needs cleaned and lubed. Anybody have an old parts machine of that era that you could send me the mainspring housing out of?

      On Thursday, December 21, 2017, 11:51:28 AM PST, Richard Knoppow 1oldlens1@... [TYPEWRITERS] <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

          Increasing the main spring tension will increase the carriage
      return cable tension rather than reduce it. I don't know the setting for
      the electric machine but most manual typewriters have a tension of
      around 12" to  16" as measured with a spring scale like a fishing scale.
      The tension is measured by releasing the carriage with the release
      levers and pulling it along with the scale slowly and steadily. Its
      possible there is some other problem that is holding back the carriage.
      In nearly all machines there is a hook of some sort under the carriage
      for holding the carriage end of the return cable when its detached from
      the carriage. You can try hooking the cable to this and testing the
      carriage for free motion.

      On 12/20/2017 1:52 PM, Eugene Gee e.gee39@... [TYPEWRITERS] wrote:

      > I just got in an Underwood 12 electric t/w. It seems that the c/r cord
      > has too much tension, it's the same if the machine is on or off, that it
      > won't allow the carraige to advance when typing, using the s/b or tabs.
      > Anyone have an idea how to remedy this? I tried to increase the
      > mainspring tension but that doesn't help.

      > Posted by: Eugene Gee <e.gee39@...>

      Richard Knoppow
      1oldlens1@...
      WB6KBL

      Group Owner: Jay Respler.  Moderator: David Born. Honorary Moderator: Paul Robert

      <*> Your email settings:
          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:
          (Yahoo! ID required)