      From: Richard Knoppow 1oldlens1@... [TYPEWRITERS]
      Sent: Monday, December 11, 2017 10:32 PM
      To: TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [TYPEWRITERS] advancing issue on an Underwood #5 201931

          Pardon the empty reply, an accident.

          The military manual is very similar to the Ames text at Xavier. I

      have it as a PDF which is easier to read. However, both have about the

      same info. Because the Model 5 was made for so long its included in the

      newer books. Until Underwood went from a carriage shift to a basket

      shift (AKA segment shift) c.1946, their design changed very little. I

      have a Model 6, which is I think a transitional model with some

      streamlining but essentially the same mechanism as the 5.

          I am not sure I am on the right track but check the spring that

      works the right margin bar. This is the lever on the left side of the

      margin setter. When you push it up it should ring the bell and have a

      fairly strong return. Its worked by a spring on the right side of the

      machine, on the bottom, near the right front foot. If its loose it an

      cause the carriage to hang up. In any case its easy to check. However,

      the Ames repair manuals are pretty complete and have good drawings.

          The gear thing you are talking about is the escapement. It releases

      the carriage one space at a time when actuated by the keys. They can get

      dirty and can be cleaned with a soft brush using either naphtha or

      kerosene. Naphtha can be obtained in most paint stores or as Ronsonol

      lighter fluid. Ronsonol is expensive but dries without any residue. Oil

      with light machine oil which can be thinned in Kerosene. 3-in-1 Machine

      Oil (blue label) is OK but don't use the 3-in-1 Household oil.

      Typewriters need very little lubrication, too much tends to collect

      dust. With the shifting part of the carriage removed its easy to get at

      the escapement and tell if its working right.

           Don't be surprised if you find the machine filled with eraser

      chips. Lots of office machines were used by rushed, careless typists.

      Clean them out with a fairly stiff paintbrush and maybe a vacuum

      cleaner. If your machine is very dirty inside you may find something

      like that is jamming the action.

           BTW, the Model 5 is a good crisp typer. I have had correspondence

      with some very fast typists who like the old Underwood carriage shift

      machines the best.

      On 12/11/2017 6:50 PM, Robert Simons simons-r@...

      [TYPEWRITERS] wrote:

      > Thanks for the correction on platen and carriage. I have the Military

      > book, downloaded it yesterday and separated the Underwood sections and

      > pictures. I will have a look at the Xavier document. I just went to it

      > and the written part may be some help, the plate 5 would be so much more

      > useful if it were from the other side.

      > Thanks for the quick responses.

      > Rob Simos

      Richard Knoppow

      1oldlens1@...

      WB6KBL

      Group Owner: Jay Respler.  Moderator: David Born. Honorary Moderator: Paul Robert

      <*> Your email settings:

          Individual Email | Traditional

      <*> To change settings online go to:

          (Yahoo! ID required)