70790Re: [TYPEWRITERS] advancing issue on an Underwood #5 201931

  • Richard Knoppow
    Dec 11, 2017
      Check
      http://site.xavier.edu/polt/typewriters/tw-manuals.html
      There are a number of typewriter repair manuals there. The No. 5 was
      an extremely popular machine and was made for decades. There is pretty
      complete information about them on this site. I don't know what has
      happened to your machine but its not difficult to take the carriage off.
      The "platen" is the rubber roller that supports the paper. It is
      held in a mechanism called the "carriage" which is what moves back and
      forth. On the No.5 the carriage has two parts, one of which is used to
      move the paper up and down for shifting. The drawings in the repair
      manuals will help to clarify the assembly.

      --
      Richard Knoppow
      1oldlens1@...