Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

70521Re: [TYPEWRITERS] All-caps Underwood No. 5

Expand Messages
  • John Schellenger
    Aug 15


      On Tuesday, August 15, 2017 6:12 AM, "Typeter@... [TYPEWRITERS]" <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      The PG would be Pica Gothic.
      M is the Underwood typemark for Microtype, a style considerably smaller than regular Pica or even Elite.
      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Schellenger tgucr@... [TYPEWRITERS] <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com>
      To: TYPEWRITERS <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Mon, Aug 14, 2017 2:39 pm
      Subject: Re: [TYPEWRITERS] All-caps Underwood No. 5

      The code varies - it's "PG" on some letter keys, and what looks like ">M<" on the others. The ">M<" is very tiny, hard to read, and set just above the letter on the slugs that have it.  What does the code indicate about its manufacture?


      On Monday, August 14, 2017 11:48 AM, "Peter Typeter@... [TYPEWRITERS]" <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      What is the code on the type slugs; that is, what is between the tilda and the character on the alphabet keys?
      Is it the same on all other type slugs?
      Peter Tytell, NYC

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Aug 14, 2017, at 13:17, John Schellenger tgucr@... [TYPEWRITERS] <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Thanks, Peter,

      All I knew when I got it was that its typeface was sans serif and slightly taller than usual.  When I got it home, I found out about the caps only aspect.


      On Monday, August 14, 2017 9:28 AM, "Peter Weil pmweil@... [TYPEWRITERS]" <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      This is a typewriter made for either these in telegraph/train work or for bills of lading. It is often called a “mill.” fairly rare.

      On Aug 14, 2017, at 10:26 AM, John Schellenger tgucr@... [TYPEWRITERS] <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I picked up an Underwood No. 5, serial number 817844-5, that types in all capitals.  It has a 1 key, and no zero key.  Shifting types figures for the number, fraction and punctuation keys, but only the tilde for all letter keys.  The figure for the 1 key is the British pound symbol.  The other money symbol is the cents sign.  I haven't come across this setup before, and wonder what it was used for.  I also am not sure if I'm reading the typewriter database correctly, and if this is a 1916 machine.  Any insight and help will be appreciated.


    • Show all 21 messages in this topic