70480Re: [TYPEWRITERS] Remington Travel-Riter

  • Robert Hayes
    Aug 10
      If you're just looking for an easy way to replace the ribbon,
      there are several vendors on ebay that sell modern spools with
      a removable insert at the core.
      Leave the insert in and if fits a standard machine. Push the
      insert out and it fits the wide core of a Remington machine.
      The cores just push out with your finger.
      They can be differentiated on sight by the white plastic of the
      removable core. It stands out in the photo.

      On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 13:30:58
      -0500 "David Born domarb@... [TYPEWRITERS]"
      <TYPEWRITERS@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      > I've not had a Remington previously, but a few weeks ago a friend
      > dropped off her father's Travel-Riter (SN TR 538179; placing it in
      > production year 1957) which had been used off and on by his
      > grandchildren for entertainment purposes. I just took a look at it
      > and was surprised to see the ribbon "spool." I hadn't come across
      > this set-up previously - I'm new to Remingtons. Seems like something
      > Apple would have come up with - a functional, but non-standard way of
      > leveraging control of the market for ribbons.
      >
      > For those who don't know what I'm talking about, the ribbon is wound
      > around a core "split ring" sort of arrangement, not a standard spool.
      >
      > David
    • Show all 25 messages in this topic