32747Re: [BULK] [TYPEWRITERS] Re: Burroughs typewriter

  • Charles Richmond
    Aug 15, 2006
      On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:33 PM, Will Davis wrote:

      > In 1942, all typewriter manufacturers in the United States with the
      > exception of the Woodstock Typewriter Company were ordered to halt
      > production, and the factories were converted over to production of
      > various armaments or parts thereof. (This occurred to large extent
      > with the domestic locomotive manufacturers as well, as an aside.)
      > While the dates of recommencement of production varied from builder to
      > builder, all stopped production at least temporarily.
      >
      > Beeching mentions in his book that L. C. Smith & Corona was authorized
      > to begin production of typewriters for military use in late 1943, but
      > that the reconversion period lasted four months. I believe that this
      > company was the first to re-convert (by a long shot.) I also remember
      > having read somewhere that Remington did not reconvert to typewriter
      > production until very nearly the end of the entire war.

      Well, I did know that industrial production in the U.S. during WWII
      was controlled by the government, with most companies willing to
      cooperate. If a company did *not* want to cooperate, the government
      would probably *force* them to cooperate anyway.

      For the government to "authorize" production of typewriters during
      the war...says to me that they recognized the importance of producing
      more typewriters to meet the military and government needs. By WWII
      the typewriter was heavily embedded in the way that business and
      organizations were run. I do *not* believe the same amount of work
      could have been done using pencil and paper as using the typewriter.

      > Adding machine companies were also included in this work, and it
      > appears that the reconversion to adding machine production at
      > Burroughs
      > did not include setting back up for typewriter production, which
      > had in
      > all likelihood been of marginal profit the whole time.

      That sounds like a good excuse *not* to get back into a unprofitable
      business...at least unprofitable for Burroughs.

      I am aware that during WWII many U.S. companies produced war material
      instead of what they would normally manufacture in peacetime.