Re: [TXBasicAcademy] Re: Practice tests by comparison...

  • DARNELL PERKINS
    Message 1 of 29 , May 4, 2008
      im starting the police academy on may 7 anyone have any study tips on penal codes and traffic.

      Bryan Williamson <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote: Im here almost every day, but you have things under such good control not really much I can ever add. Thanks for the articles you post I pass them on to other officers.
      Bryan

      paulkagel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
      Been a while Bryan. I'm hoping you'll pop up more on here to help get
      these guys certified.

      --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Williamson
      <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote:

      > Since I set up both web sites I doubt there is much difference, but
      then the vc web page has not been updated since 2005. Still good tool,
      but make sure the question and answer are still valid.
      > Bryan
      >
      > Chris Hebert <chebert22@...> wrote:
      > By comparison, do yall find that the Victoria College
      practice tests are better than those on the TLETCA website?

      > I've just completed day 3 of my academy, and I took the practice
      test on Fitness/History/Ethics and I scored a 76% (38 out of 50
      questions correct.) Most of the incorrect answers were from sections
      that we have not covered yet, so I was just guessing at those. But I
      did get most of the questions that we covered correct.

      > Chris

      > "In everyone's life at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is
      then burst into flames by an encounter with another human being. We
      should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit"
      Albert Schweitzer

      "In everyone's life at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is then burst into flames by an encounter with another human being. We should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit" Albert Schweitzer

    • paulkagel
      Message 2 of 29 , May 4, 2008
        Look in the files section.

        --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, DARNELL PERKINS
        <bulldog_0566@...> wrote:

        > im starting the police academy on may 7 anyone have any study tips
        on penal codes and traffic.

        > Bryan Williamson <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote: Im here
        almost every day, but you have things under such good control not
        really much I can ever add. Thanks for the articles you post I pass
        them on to other officers.
        > Bryan
        >
        > paulkagel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
        > Been a while Bryan. I'm hoping you'll pop up more on here to help get
        > these guys certified.
        >
        > --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Williamson
        > <bryan_williamson2u@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Since I set up both web sites I doubt there is much difference, but
        > then the vc web page has not been updated since 2005. Still good tool,
        > but make sure the question and answer are still valid.
        > > Bryan
        > >
        > > Chris Hebert <chebert22@> wrote:
        > > By comparison, do yall find that the Victoria College
        > practice tests are better than those on the TLETCA website?
        > >
        > > I've just completed day 3 of my academy, and I took the practice
        > test on Fitness/History/Ethics and I scored a 76% (38 out of 50
        > questions correct.) Most of the incorrect answers were from sections
        > that we have not covered yet, so I was just guessing at those. But I
        > did get most of the questions that we covered correct.
        > >
        > > Chris

        > > "In everyone's life at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is
        > then burst into flames by an encounter with another human being. We
        > should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit"
        > Albert Schweitzer

        > "In everyone's life at some time, our inner fire goes out. It is
        then burst into flames by an encounter with another human being. We
        should all be thankful for those people who rekindle the inner spirit"
        Albert Schweitzer

      • oreo
        Message 3 of 29 , May 26, 2008
          --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hebert <chebert22@...>
          wrote:

          > Does anyone know how often the practice questions on the TLETCA's
          website are updated. I've noticed some discrepancies.

          > For instance, there is a question about how many levels on the
          wellness pyramid there are. Our TCLEOSE training manual says there
          are 5 and the practice test says there are six.

          > There has been a few others, but thats the one I remember off the
          top of my head, because we had such a discussion over it in our
          academy class.

          > Chris

          I can answer this one for you actually there are 6 levels in teh
          pyramid accroding to the state. They only list 5 in the study guide
          forsome reason I think they added it later . If you look at the
          pyramid and count there are 6 spaces . I just graduated from the
          academy last week . I rember this coming up a couple of times.
        • je1054
          Message 4 of 29 , May 27, 2008
            here is another one i found from both test sites

            Mr. Bill decides to break into a hardware store. He forces his way
            into the building and begins to collect items he intends to take.
            Officer Hand arrives and captures Mr. Bill, who also has a handgun in
            his belt. Mr. Bill did not have the effective consent of the owner
            (Mr. Sluggo) to be in the store. The most serious offense Bill may be
            charged with is:
            A. Burglary (State Jail Felony)

            B. Burglary (3rd Degree Felony)

            C. Criminal Trespass (Class A Misdemeanor)

            D. Unlawful Carrying Weapon,

            According to the answer key the correct answer would be (B). However
            this is what the law reads.

            Sec. 30.02. BURGLARY. (a) A person commits an offense if, without
            the effective consent of the owner, he:
            (1) enters a habitation, or a building (or any portion of a building)
            not then open to the public, with intent to commit a felony or theft;
            or
            (2) remains concealed, with intent to commit a felony or theft, in a
            building or habitation; or
            (3) enters a building or habitation and commits or attempts to commit
            a felony or theft.
            (b) For purposes of this section, "enter" means to intrude:
            (1) any part of the body; or
            (2) any physical object connected with the body.
            (c) Except as provided in Subsection (d), an offense under this
            section is a
            (1) state jail felony if committed in a building other than a
            habitation; or
            (2) felony of the second degree if committed in a habitation.
            (d) An offense under this section is a felony of the first degree if:
            (1) the premises are a habitation; and
            (2) [amended 9/1/95] any party to the offense entered the habitation
            with intent to commit a felony other than felony theft or committed
            or attempted to commit a felony other than felony theft.
            Before 9/1/95 (d)(2) provided:
            (2) any party to the offense entered the habitation with intent to
            commit a felony other than felony theft.

            There is no 3rd degree felony for burglary in TX penal code.

            I still find boths sites to be good sources of info, but just be
            careful and cross check all the ones you missed.

            -- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, "oreo" <oreo2603@...> wrote:

            > --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hebert <chebert22@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Does anyone know how often the practice questions on the TLETCA's
            > website are updated. I've noticed some discrepancies.
            > >
            > > For instance, there is a question about how many levels on the
            > wellness pyramid there are. Our TCLEOSE training manual says there
            > are 5 and the practice test says there are six.
            > >
            > > There has been a few others, but thats the one I remember off
            the
            > top of my head, because we had such a discussion over it in our
            > academy class.
            > >
            > > Chris
            > >
            > I can answer this one for you actually there are 6 levels in teh
            > pyramid accroding to the state. They only list 5 in the study guide
            > forsome reason I think they added it later . If you look at the
            > pyramid and count there are 6 spaces . I just graduated from the
            > academy last week . I rember this coming up a couple of times.

          • Bryan Williamson
            Message 5 of 29 , May 27, 2008
              Actually b is the right answer...if you look at the question ..he has a gun..look a bit into your penal code where offenses get enhanced with a weapon and I think you find it now becomes a higher degree offense. Weapons increase the penalty

              je1054 <je1054@...> wrote: here is another one i found from both test sites

            • Chris Hebert
              Message 6 of 29 , May 27, 2008
                I would call that one a state jail felony. there's no enhancement for weapons that I can remember. you can't read too much into these.

                Bryan Williamson <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote: Actually b is the right answer...if you look at the question ..he has a gun..look a bit into your penal code where offenses get enhanced with a weapon and I think you find it now becomes a higher degree offense. Weapons increase the penalty

                Message 7 of 29 , May 27, 2008
                  if you call it a state jail felony you'd be wrong and yes there is an enhancement if you look you can find if , if not let me know and Ill point you in the right direction.

                  Message 8 of 29 , May 27, 2008
                    >>>if you call it a state jail felony you'd be wrong and yes there is an enhancement if you look you can find if , if not let me know and Ill point you in the right direction<<<

                    I'm still calling it a State Jail Felony according to PC 30.02. I looked up some of the weapon charges but can't seem to find anything that would enhance it. Where would I look?

                    Chris

                  • Bryan Williamson

                        Message 11 of 29 , May 27, 2008
                          >>>it' s there to make people think and remind them we want to learn the penal code for whats needed on the street and not just to pass TCLEOSE....<<<

                          WOW! I passed my penal code test with an 86% and had absolutely no idea... Thanks for that! I'll never forget that again....

                          Chris

                        • je1054
                          Message 12 of 29 , May 29, 2008
                            Good one definetly overlooked that portion, but will def not forget
                            that once it comes down to test time. 2 more months!!