TCLEOSE QUESTION

  • mannha10
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
      I just found a question on one of the practice tests that threw me.

      Shoplifters may be arrested:
      A. only by security guards

      B. only by police officers

      C. only by store employees

      D. by any citizen
      7.1.2

      It says the answer is D but I cannot find anything that would
      authorize a citizen to arrest for shoplifting or theft if it is a Misd.

      Any tips?

      Lee Hunt
      Houston Police Academy
    • Allen Hollis
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
        The correct response is D, it is in the CCP somewhere. You can call me at 817 937-1046 if you need any advice on some questions. I took the test awhile ago and just graduate the academy

        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
          Tex. Code Crim. Proc. Ann. art. 14.01(a) "A peace officer or any other
          person, may, without a warrant, arrest an offender where
          the offense is a committed in his presence or within his view, if the
          offense is one classed as a felony or as
          an offense against the public peace" was cited as the specific statute
          in US v. Sealed Juvenile (2001)
          http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=5th&navby=case&no=0040411cr0

          --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Allen Hollis <allenhollis@...>
          wrote:

          > The correct response is D, it is in the CCP somewhere. You can call
          me at 817 937-1046 if you need any advice on some questions. I took
          the test awhile ago and just graduate the academy

        • Justin Rivette
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
            Not sure if you found the answer to your question yet, but it is CCP Article 18.16 Preventing consequences of theft. Basically it gives any citizen the right to seize the person and stolen property and then delivering them to a magistrate or police officer.

          • adjka dkaj
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
              hey Justin, thanks for your email...i'll have my
              Tcloese test on Monday ...im try to read as much as i
              can....if there are any more material...please let me
              know...thankxx

              --- Justin Rivette <jnashr@...> wrote:

              > Not sure if you found the answer to your question
              > yet, but it is CCP Article 18.16 Preventing
              > consequences of theft. Basically it gives any
              > citizen the right to seize the person and stolen
              > property and then delivering them to a magistrate or
              > police officer.

              > removed]

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • paulkagel
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                I added the CCP 18.16 to my study guides. Funny, TCLEOSE doesn't list
                it as an objective but they test on it. Hopefully you have downloaded
                all my study guides already. They have been a big help to several
                people already.

                PK

                --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, adjka dkaj <xxxgarungxxx@...>
                wrote:

                > hey Justin, thanks for your email...i'll have my
                > Tcloese test on Monday ...im try to read as much as i
                > can....if there are any more material...please let me
                > know...thankxx
                >
                > --- Justin Rivette <jnashr@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Not sure if you found the answer to your question
                > > yet, but it is CCP Article 18.16 Preventing
                > > consequences of theft. Basically it gives any
                > > citizen the right to seize the person and stolen
                > > property and then delivering them to a magistrate or
                > > police officer.

                > > removed]

                > http://mail.yahoo.com

              • Bryan Williamson
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                  Like many others it's hidden among a learning objective. Almost everyone of those practice test questions belongs to a specific learning objective. A few may have changed over the years, but not many

                  7.1.2. Explain the circumstances for warrantless arrests.

                  18.16 is an important arrest authority officers will need to know.
                  shoplifter law

                  wrote:

                  > hey Justin, thanks for your email...i'll have my
                  > Tcloese test on Monday ...im try to read as much as i
                  > can....if there are any more material...please let me
                  > know...thankxx
                  >
                  > --- Justin Rivette <jnashr@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > Not sure if you found the answer to your question
                  > > yet, but it is CCP Article 18.16 Preventing
                  > > consequences of theft. Basically it gives any
                  > > citizen the right to seize the person and stolen
                  > > property and then delivering them to a magistrate or
                  > > police officer.

                  > > removed]

                  > http://mail.yahoo.com

                • paulkagel
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                    Bryan, if you run across any more that are not enumerated in the
                    TCLEOSE objectives that I can add please don't hesitate to inform me
                    and I'll add them ASAP. I want to make my notes as complete as
                    possible like my set from California.

                    --- In TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Williamson
                    <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote:

                    > Like many others it's hidden among a learning objective. Almost
                    everyone of those practice test questions belongs to a specific
                    learning objective. A few may have changed over the years, but not many

                    > 7.1.2. Explain the circumstances for warrantless arrests.
                    >
                    > 18.16 is an important arrest authority officers will need to know.
                    > shoplifter law

                  • adjka dkaj
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                      will someone tell me how to get into the Tcloese
                      material..i couldn't find it...thankxx

                      http://mail.yahoo.com
                    • Bryan Williamson
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                        http://www.tletca.org/presentations.htm
                        power point 02...
                        might want to know watch and ward, stephen f austin, mexico rule 100 years...

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jul 1, 2006
                          Go to the "Files" section on the left side of the web page and then
                          hit the "study guides" folder. I have made a ton of files and Bryan
                          Williamson has uploaded some also. Check the links out also as their
                          is a lot of good info in there.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                            i feel so bad now..i fail the 1st attemp taking Tcloese yesterday.....i'll have an other chance on Thursday....the test is so difficult ...i mean super hard...example:

                            1-when a guy go into someone garagre and break into the vehicle and steal a Laptop cost $1500 ...
                            a-Burlary
                            b-Burlary in Vehicle

                            2-if the guy abduct a child and demand a ransom for child's realease. later he getting scare and realease a child without harmful.
                            a- Kiddnaping
                            b-Aggrevated Kiddnaping

                            ....any more more stupid question.....so anyone have correct answer for those question....

                            For LEE HUNT, do you still remmeber any of those question you took yesterday??? throw them out man...thankxx...Congratualtion LEE HUNT...

                          • paulkagel
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                              You have to know the elements to the crime. Let's cover the 1st one.
                              Burglary is entering any habitation or building not open for business
                              w/ the intent to commit a felony, assault or any theft. The car was
                              in the building and he entered w/ the intent to steal therefore it is
                              a 2nd degree felony burglary of a habitation.

                              If the car would have been outside the habitation(in the driveway for
                              example) then it would have been a class A misdemeanor(30.04)

                              The second one is very straight forward. It is aggravated kidnapping
                              20.04 (a) (1) intentionally or knowingly abduct another person w/ the
                              intent to hold him for ransom or reward.

                              Don't read into the questions and try to figure out what the actors
                              are thinking. Go by what they did. Read my Penal Code notes and
                              focus on the elements of each crime. Sleep good the night before and
                              don't cram the night before, it just ruins your sleep.

                              Best of luck.

                              Message 14 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                dont take it again on Thursday you wont be ready

                                burglary because the offender entered the STRUCTURE with intent to commit a theft
                                Aggravated kidnapping cause he demanded ransom, the fact he released the child only decreased the penalty grade...
                                take all the practice exams on tletca.org..they will help and then try to remember other questions you might have missed...
                                you have 180 total on your eligiblity, you have two attempts left, but time is on your side,
                                what was your score. they are .04 a piece..you can miss 75 and still make a 70%
                                look over your score sheet from tcleose and see what areas you need to beef up in....
                                they have a lot more silly questions then those....
                                Bryan

                                adjka dkaj <xxxgarungxxx@...> wrote:
                                i feel so bad now..i fail the 1st attemp taking Tcloese yesterday.....i'll have an other chance on Thursday....the test is so difficult ...i mean super hard...example:

                                1-when a guy go into someone garagre and break into the vehicle and steal a Laptop cost $1500 ...
                                a-Burlary
                                b-Burlary in Vehicle

                                2-if the guy abduct a child and demand a ransom for child's realease. later he getting scare and realease a child without harmful.
                                a- Kiddnaping
                                b-Aggrevated Kiddnaping

                                ....any more more stupid question.....so anyone have correct answer for those question....

                                For LEE HUNT, do you still remmeber any of those question you took yesterday??? throw them out man...thankxx...Congratualtion LEE HUNT...

                              • Betancourt, Jay
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                  Wow, that is not good. I knew it was pretty tough, but not this
                                  difficulty. Kind of scares me. Maybe I should start studying now?

                                  I haven't gone through an academy yet, so I wouldn't be able to give you
                                  some correct answers.

                                  But in situation one, if a person breaks into someone's garage, it would
                                  depend if the garage is attached to the house. If attached, Burglary of
                                  a Habitation. If detached, Burglary of a Habitation. Even though the
                                  vehicle was parked in the garage, would it be a separate offense or just
                                  fall under the main burglary one? Since it's on the actual property, I'm
                                  willing to bet it's answer choice A "Burglary".

                                  For situation two, if a subject abducts a child and demands ransom,
                                  according to PC 20.04 the demand for RANSOM in itself bumps it up to
                                  Aggravated Kidnapping. Even though he DID release the subject, he SHOULD
                                  still be charged with Aggravated Kidnapping. During the trial, the court
                                  can then lower the punishment to a felony in the 2nd degree.

                                  Once again in PC 20.04 (Aggravated Kidnapping), "(d) At the punishment
                                  stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he
                                  voluntarily released the victim in a safe place. If the defendant
                                  proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence,
                                  the offense is a felony of the second degree."

                                  So I'd go ahead and charge the suspect with Aggravated Kidnapping. I
                                  hope my thoughts are correct, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the
                                  correct answers really are from someone that has passed. LOL!

                                  -Jay

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                    You have to prepare and study how they want the questions and answers...example

                                    What is the first rung on the use of force continuum...?
                                    officer presence
                                    command presence
                                    police presence
                                    professional presence

                                    Good luck because they are all correct, but which one does tcleose say is correct?
                                    Studying the learning objectives is important.

                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                      Well, good to see that CA and TX have one thing in common, stupid test
                                      writers. Their is no reason to ask a question like that as it prooves
                                      nothing as to how well one understands the material.

                                      BTW, what is the correct answer and why are the other ones wrong?

                                      PK

                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                        Is it not about proper grammer but effective communication, I understood what she meant. After taking the state exam and failing I'm impressed she can even process at all, that's a tough test. The state exam has 3 questions in the area of communication, which is grammar so I guess to tcleose it aint that important

                                        phil@..., UNEXPECTED_DATA_AFTER_ADDRESS@.SYNTAX-ERROR. wrote: I'm really surprised that nobody else has pointed out your apparent
                                        inability to spell or form a proper English sentence as possible
                                        detriments to you passing the test. I imagine the test has sections on
                                        grammar, spelling, and syntax, does it not? And I imagine it's all in
                                        English. What is your native language, "adjka dkaj"? Not trying to
                                        hate, but it's clear from your posts that you're having trouble with
                                        the language. Take care.

                                        Phil

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jul 4, 2006
                                          Hay I like that question better than, What is the round thing in the relover that holds the bullets?

                                          All of the force options are correct in that you know that forcefullness or professionalism that an officer presences sets up that first rung...but tcleose says...

                                          17.3.1. List and discuss force options available to peace officers.

                                          Force Options:

                                          Professional presence - entering into a scene
                                          Verbal communications - words, language
                                          Weaponless strategies - takedowns, come-alongs, etc.
                                          Weapon strategies
                                          o Chemical/electrical means
                                          o Mace
                                          o Stun gun
                                          o Baton or impact weapon

                                          Deadly force
                                          When you go to the intermediate use of force course they tell you command presence

                                          <bryan_williamson2u@...> wrote:

                                          > You have to prepare and study how they want the questions and
                                          answers...example

                                          > What is the first rung on the use of force continuum...?
                                          > officer presence
                                          > command presence
                                          > police presence
                                          > professional presence
                                          >
                                          > Good luck because they are all correct, but which one does tcleose
                                          say is correct?
                                          > Studying the learning objectives is important.
                                          >
                                          > "Betancourt, Jay" <jay.betancourt@...> wrote:
                                          > Wow, that is not good. I knew it was pretty tough, but not
                                          this
                                          > difficulty. Kind of scares me. Maybe I should start studying now?
                                          >
                                          > I haven't gone through an academy yet, so I wouldn't be able to give you
                                          > some correct answers.
                                          >
                                          > But in situation one, if a person breaks into someone's garage, it would
                                          > depend if the garage is attached to the house. If attached, Burglary of
                                          > a Habitation. If detached, Burglary of a Habitation. Even though the
                                          > vehicle was parked in the garage, would it be a separate offense or just
                                          > fall under the main burglary one? Since it's on the actual property, I'm
                                          > willing to bet it's answer choice A "Burglary".
                                          >
                                          > For situation two, if a subject abducts a child and demands ransom,
                                          > according to PC 20.04 the demand for RANSOM in itself bumps it up to
                                          > Aggravated Kidnapping. Even though he DID release the subject, he SHOULD
                                          > still be charged with Aggravated Kidnapping. During the trial, the court
                                          > can then lower the punishment to a felony in the 2nd degree.
                                          >
                                          > Once again in PC 20.04 (Aggravated Kidnapping), "(d) At the punishment
                                          > stage of a trial, the defendant may raise the issue as to whether he
                                          > voluntarily released the victim in a safe place. If the defendant
                                          > proves the issue in the affirmative by a preponderance of the evidence,
                                          > the offense is a felony of the second degree."
                                          >
                                          > So I'd go ahead and charge the suspect with Aggravated Kidnapping. I
                                          > hope my thoughts are correct, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the
                                          > correct answers really are from someone that has passed. LOL!
                                          >
                                          > -Jay
                                          >
                                          > ________________________________

                                        • Lannes
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Sep 22, 2006
                                            I am halfway thru with the night CAPCOG class and the main thing that
                                            I have learned so far is to make sure you read each and every word of
                                            the question, and don't read anymore into the question than what is
                                            there. I have missed a few questions because of 1 word. Really silly
                                            on my part but you get tired and recognize the first part of the
                                            question and then its "Oh I know that one" and then you don't finish
                                            reading the entire question.

                                            Anyone that has just finished the test and wants to share the types of
                                            sections or areas to focus on would be greatly appreciated and best of
                                            luck to those who are getting ready for it...mine is in Feb!