Re: [TXBasicAcademy] Where your freaking vest

  • blueknight1974
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2011
      Kingsville, TX, just south of Corpus Christi on Hwy 77.

      "BEATI PACIFICI" Blessed are the peacemakers

      From: blueknight1974 <blueknight1974@...>

      Sender: TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 19:29:09

      To: <TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com>

      I work in south tx, bout 2 hrs from mexico, and along the coast.  the heat plus humidity is killer in the summer.  can't step foot out of the car and start beading up.  if doing traffic control on the highway during the afternoon, you can literally feel your shoes melting on the blacktop.

      we recently switched to outer vests.  we have the choice to wear outer or inner.  i wear outer because it is actually cooler because the air gets to circulate underneath and can also lighten the load of my duty belt to put some stuff in the vest pockets.

      From: Kevin Diehl <diehlkm@...>

      To: "TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com" <TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com>

      Cc: "TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com" <TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com>

      Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 9:10 PM

      Wait a minute guys. I agree with you totally about the vests. However I used to work in Savannah Ga. we had the same policy due to the humidity. Alot of the officers didn't wear their vests everyday and like it or not everybody wants to be one of the guys. I see it from both sides. I work here in the metroplex and I make sure I'm wearing my vest and I require my guys to have theirs on too.

      Y'all stay Safe.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Feb 23, 2011, at 19:27, blueknight1974 <blueknight1974@...> wrote:

      Wow!...that is absoutley amazing that their policy states that a vest is required to have, but not wear?

      High risk?...as patrolmen everything we do is high risk and must react to any given situation as there is no "time-out" to put on a vest.

      Our policy is if you are assigned to patrol, you will wear your vest at all times.

      I dont care how hot or uncomfortable they may be, the fact is that they save lives and our lives are more valueable than some POS. I bet our families and children will agree.

      From: paulkagel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

      Subject: [TXBasicAcademy] Where your freaking vest

      To: TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com

      Date: Wednesday, February 23, 2011, 10:13 AM

      Vest 'May' Have Saved St. Pete Cop; Teen Killer Arrested

      St. Petersburg Times/Feb. 23, 2011

      St. Petersburg, Florida

      WatchVideo

      Officer David S. Crawford wasn't wearing a bullet-resistant vest Monday night when a gunman shot him several times in the chest.

      It's unclear whether a vest would have saved the veteran police officer, who was shot at close range.

      "Would it have averted tragedy? It may or may not have," said police Chief Chuck Harmon, who added that while department policy requires officers to have a vest, it's at their discretion whether to wear it.

      Body armor is "highly encouraged," the policy states, but required only when officers face "high-risk" situations.

      "(The policy) is worth looking at again," Harmon said during a Tuesday news conference. "I'm not going to say David did anything wrong."

      The vests, which can be bulky, are uncomfortable, especially in warm weather, Harmon said.

      After the briefing, at least three St. Petersburg City Council members said the vest policy should be reconsidered.

      "It's a policy I'd change today," said Karl Nurse. "It seems that if you're outside of headquarters, you should have a vest on. As we've learned, routine work can turn deadly within seconds."

      "I understand … that it's hot to wear it," said Jeff Danner. "But most of the officers I've seen have them on. I'm not sure if that's something you can mandate, but we should look at it."

      "We don't mandate it, and perhaps that should be revisited," said Wengay Newton. "But we still don't know if it would have mattered."

      The policy was tweaked for the department's undercover surveillance unit after two officers were shot while arresting robbery suspects in 2008 and 2009. The new policy said those officers "should" wear vests but stopped short of a mandate. St. Petersburg reimburses officers about $600 for a new vest every two to three years.

      Vests aren't infallible.

      On Jan. 24, St. Petersburg police Sgt. Thomas Baitinger died after Hydra Lacy Jr. shot through an attic floor at an angle that allowed a bullet to pierce his body without hitting his vest.

      In August 2009, Tampa police Cpl. Mike Roberts was wearing a vest but died after a bullet burrowed into his shoulder at a downward angle and pierced an exposed area below his armpit.

      St. Petersburg isn't alone in making vests optional. The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office, for instance, issues vests but also leaves it up to patrol deputies to decide whether to wear them, said sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter.

      Tampa police also aren't required to wear a vest on a regular basis — unless they know they are going into a high-risk situation, said Lt. Ruben Delgado.

    • cameroncoleman87@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 3, 2011

        From: paulkagel <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>

        To: TXBasicAcademy@yahoogroups.com