RE: [TW] Loading XLIFF or TTX for Studio processing?

  • Paul Filkin
    Message 1 of 24 , Jul 1, 2012
      What were the errors? Could be telling you there are no TMs attached yet for
      example, so when you analyse and pretranslate there is nothing to do this
      with... but the project will still get translated. You also don't have to
      analyse and pretranslate. When you create the project you just remove the
      tasks you don't want.

      File names being too long can also relate to the overall path. Creating the
      project up a few levels usually resolves this problem.

      Regards

      Paul

      Message 2 of 24 , Jul 2, 2012
        You know, this and other problems (like the persistent error message) may be related to the file path being too long. Now when I want to create a term base, I am being told that no can do, because of the length of the string pointing to the project.

        Since the project was already created, is there any way to move the project and pertaining files to another folder closer to the root of the C: drive, without SDL Studio losing track of them - I think this would be hard, though. I am embedded maybe four or five levels down from the root directory on the C drive, you know the usual thing: Clients\[name of client]\language\project\...

        Finally, I absolutely think this is a problem that should not exist, i.e., long file paths should be allowed. This marks the first application, among many that I have, were this was disallowed.

        Many thanks for your thoughts on this.
        --YR

        --- In TW_users@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Filkin" <pfilkin@...> wrote:

        > What were the errors? Could be telling you there are no TMs attached yet for
        > example, so when you analyse and pretranslate there is nothing to do this
        > with... but the project will still get translated. You also don't have to
        > analyse and pretranslate. When you create the project you just remove the
        > tasks you don't want.
        >

        > File names being too long can also relate to the overall path. Creating the
        > project up a few levels usually resolves this problem.
        >

        > Regards
        >

        > Paul

      • Ingveeh
        Message 3 of 24 , Jul 2, 2012
          To be a little more on the constructive side, why not contemplate adding a solution proposal to an error message like this: Try making the path shorter, which may solve your problem, so you nip the problem in the bud, so to speak.
          Just wondering...
          --YR

          --- In TW_users@yahoogroups.com, "Ingveeh" <roennike@...> wrote:

          > You know, this and other problems (like the persistent error message) may be related to the file path being too long. Now when I want to create a term base, I am being told that no can do, because of the length of the string pointing to the project.
          >
          > Since the project was already created, is there any way to move the project and pertaining files to another folder closer to the root of the C: drive, without SDL Studio losing track of them - I think this would be hard, though. I am embedded maybe four or five levels down from the root directory on the C drive, you know the usual thing: Clients\[name of client]\language\project\...
          >
          > Finally, I absolutely think this is a problem that should not exist, i.e., long file paths should be allowed. This marks the first application, among many that I have, were this was disallowed.
          >
          > Many thanks for your thoughts on this.
          > --YR

        • Paul Filkin
          Message 4 of 24 , Jul 2, 2012
            Well, try creating a document in a folder where the path exceeds 259
            characters and you start to run into problems. Even Microsoft word will
            flash a warning up and tell you it won't be possible to create links to
            documents from inside a document that is stored too deep. Studio often links
            to many things... TTX (file references inside the TTX), DTDs, stylesheets,
            TMs, Termbases etc.

            The limitation is a windows limitation and the closer you keep your folder
            structure to C: the less likely you are to have this problem. Generally the
            My Documents location is not problematic, but occasionally depending on your
            own structure, or the links being referenced, you can meet this problem.

            Regards

            Paul

            Filkin" <pfilkin@...> wrote:

            > What were the errors? Could be telling you there are no TMs attached yet
            for
            > example, so when you analyse and pretranslate there is nothing to do this
            > with... but the project will still get translated. You also don't have to
            > analyse and pretranslate. When you create the project you just remove the
            > tasks you don't want.
            >

            > File names being too long can also relate to the overall path. Creating the
            > project up a few levels usually resolves this problem.
            >

            > Regards
            >

            > Paul

            </pre>
            <b>SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.</b>
            If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we further request that you advise us.<BR>
            SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales. Registered number: 02675207.<BR>
            Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY, UK.

          • Max B.
            Message 5 of 24 , Jul 3, 2012
              On 03/07/2012 06:45, Paul Filkin wrote:

              > The limitation is a windows limitation and the closer you keep your folder
              > structure to C: the less likely you are to have this problem. Generally the
              > My Documents location is not problematic, but occasionally depending on your
              > own structure, or the links being referenced, you can meet this problem.

              By the way, you can change the location of your "My documents" folder.

              On the desktop, right-click on the "My documents" icon. In the drop-down
              menu, choose "Properties", etc.
            • Ingveeh
              Message 6 of 24 , Jul 4, 2012
                Well, my question was that if I move the project to another folder by simply cutting and pasting it, will this be a problem for the many files that are affiliated with the project, will they still be linked?

                I seem to experience, I think now, the message "Object reference not set to an instance of an object," when I encounter tags in the target TU. AT puts them in there, btw, so I should probably avoid AT in those TUs.

                As I get my files in TTX format, although they are linked to a Word file, which I also have. Is this because the linkage to an underlying Word file is uncertain or has become unstable? Just guessing.

                This message is devastating. I can no longer save the TUs, have to close and restart Studio, copy and paste system files. I am also not sure that Finalizing the file will work anymore.

                PS. I thought Windows and Word in its newer versions had made certain that very long file names would be accepted. That was not previously the case.

                --- In TW_users@yahoogroups.com, "Max B." <max4lists@...> wrote:

                > On 03/07/2012 06:45, Paul Filkin wrote:
                >
                > > The limitation is a windows limitation and the closer you keep your folder
                > > structure to C: the less likely you are to have this problem. Generally the
                > > My Documents location is not problematic, but occasionally depending on your
                > > own structure, or the links being referenced, you can meet this problem.
                >
                > By the way, you can change the location of your "My documents" folder.
                >
                > On the desktop, right-click on the "My documents" icon. In the drop-down
                > menu, choose "Properties", etc.

              • Paul Filkin
                Message 7 of 24 , Jul 4, 2012
                  > Well, my question was that if I move the project to another folder by
                  simply cutting and pasting it, will this be a problem for the many

                  > files that are affiliated with the project, will they still be linked?

                  Within the Project yes. But if you don't remove the Project from the
                  Projects View in Studio first then Studio will have no idea where they are.
                  So move from Studio first and then cut and paste, then open the SDLProj from
                  its new location to put the project back into Studio.

                  On your tags and messages... I really have no idea. If you can share the
                  translated SDLXLIFF so I can see what you mean then perhaps I can help?

                  > PS. I thought Windows and Word in its newer versions had made certain that
                  very long file names would be accepted.

                  > That was not previously the case.

                  Windows 2000 has a 254 character limit.
                  Windows XP has a 255 character limit.
                  Windows Vista has a 260 character limit.

                  Windows 7 has a 260 character limit

                  So they certainly seem to have got longer ;-) But still restrictive under
                  the right (wrong) circumstances for all software.

                  Regards

                  Paul

                  --- In TW_users@yahoogroups.com <mailto:TW_users%40yahoogroups.com> , "Max

                  Message 8 of 24 , Jul 4, 2012
                    Thanks again for responding.

                    Just a quick note about this:

                    C:\Users\Yngve\Documents\Clients\[client name]\[language]\TTX\[subfolder]\[long file name max. about 60 characters]

                    I am well within that limit, of course, and that is also why the linked Word files with the same names can easily be saved with a path size comparable to the above. That still does not explain why the message about the file names plus the path is too long for a project file to work properly, but that is the message that has cropped up repeatedly, so I wonder if just moving things about, i.e., closer to the root will indeed solve this. But at least that is the going theory now, so I'll look into this when I get a moment.

                    Message 9 of 24 , Jul 4, 2012
                      Hi,

                      Probably the TTX part. This file contains links to others and these are
                      taken into account because they may well be needed depending on what you
                      intend to do.

                      Regards

                      Paul

                      Message 10 of 24 , Jul 4, 2012
                        One segment contains multiple bookmark tags stacked together, five in a row, for instance.
                        <bookmarked name=_Toc123455"/>

                        Pressing Alt+ crashes and displays the aforesaid message, which calls for major repair work, closing Studio via Windows Task Manager, it won't close on its own. You can, however, still navigate around by pressing the arrow keys on your keyboard, as well as saving the file.

                        Message 11 of 24 , Jul 5, 2012
                          So, I'll simply avoid hitting Alt+ those TUs with tags in them, gingerly, and instead use the down-arrow key. No big deal (or is it?).