Re: [TTLUG] Help with Modem

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
      dgerman4me wrote:
      > I am new to Linux and I am having problem connecting to the net using
      > the Winmodem I have on my computer. I did some research and found out
      > that they rarely ever work on Linux. I am searching for an external
      > modem and it is very hard to find one here in Trinidad. Can you tell
      > me where I can get one. I would like to know if all external modems
      > work on Linux, even though it may not state on the package that it has
      > drivers for Linux. At the moment I have Knoppix installed and have
      > just purchased Mandrake 9.1. I really want to get away from Mcrosoft
      > windows. It's the worst, believe me. Help!

      External serial modems (NOT USB) generally work fine (99.95% of the
      time). I think I saw one in InterPC the last time that I was there,
      though you could try some of the other PC stores in POS. I know that
      the Wizz has a couple, though they are a bit pricey there.

      The problem with internal modems do not rest in the fact thet they are
      internal, but with the fact that most modem manufacturers do not put the
      required hardware on the circuitry, instead offloading all the work for
      the CPU. Hence the term "winmodem"

      --
      Richard Jobity, Tunapuna, Trinidad and Tobago | ph: (868) 620-5550
      http://www.ttlug.org | http://www.weakblog.com | http://www.jobity.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
        If you or anyone else wants to purchase an external modem and you don't have
        the facilities to do so over the internet, I'll do it for you.........but
        money up front though.........delivery time should be about two weeks at
        most but that depends on you.

        At http://www.mwave.com you can get a Cnet 56 V.90 External Modem with
        Conexant SmartSCM chipset for US$40 plus shipping........and maybe
        duties......is there a duty charge on modems???? Budget about TT$320.00 for
        everything. The good thing about external modems is that they can work on
        any OS regardless of the OS version.......once they still support the serial
        port!

        Allan.

        > I am new to Linux and I am having problem connecting to the net using
        > the Winmodem I have on my computer. I did some research and found out
        > that they rarely ever work on Linux. I am searching for an external
        > modem and it is very hard to find one here in Trinidad. Can you tell
        > me where I can get one. I would like to know if all external modems
        > work on Linux, even though it may not state on the package that it has
        > drivers for Linux. At the moment I have Knoppix installed and have
        > just purchased Mandrake 9.1. I really want to get away from Mcrosoft
        > windows. It's the worst, believe me. Help!

        External serial modems (NOT USB) generally work fine (99.95% of the
        time). I think I saw one in InterPC the last time that I was there,
        though you could try some of the other PC stores in POS. I know that
        the Wizz has a couple, though they are a bit pricey there.

          > I am new to Linux and I am having problem connecting to the net using
          > the Winmodem I have on my computer. I did some research and found out
          > that they rarely ever work on Linux. I am searching for an external
          > modem and it is very hard to find one here in Trinidad. Can you tell
          > me where I can get one. I would like to know if all external modems
          > work on Linux, even though it may not state on the package that it has
          > drivers for Linux. At the moment I have Knoppix installed and have
          > just purchased Mandrake 9.1. I really want to get away from Mcrosoft
          > windows. It's the worst, believe me. Help!

          External serial modems (NOT USB) generally work fine (99.95% of the
          time). I think I saw one in InterPC the last time that I was there,
          though you could try some of the other PC stores in POS. I know that
          the Wizz has a couple, though they are a bit pricey there.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • Allan Samaroo
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2003
            Ha! It doesn't matter who clears it.........it all depends on the customs
            officer doing the processing........and they're really
            ridiculous..........anyways I'm offering to help out cause I know it's
            difficult to get the stuff locally..........but I'll check my skybox people
            on those charges..........