That MS guy I talked about...

  • Stanford .T. Mings Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
      Hey folks, this email is in regards to the converstation I had with some of
      you last week. To bring everyone up to speed :

      About 2 years ago, MS was in negotiations with the University of the Virgin
      Islands for a campus wide license. I was introduced to one the MS guys.
      While talking to him I made mention that I had a Mailing List that where we
      discussed technology in the Virgin Islands (vi-tech). I invited him to join
      to provide that MS perspective that though, we had in the group, he could
      bring the official word. He declined based on previous 'bad' experiances on
      mailing lists in Trinidad. His name is Flavio Calonge. Ring any bells ?

      stm
    • Stanford .T. Mings Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
        The vi-tech list is 20% MS, 30 Open Source, 50 Don't care !

        stm

        > > Hey folks, this email is in regards to the converstation I had with
        > > some of
        > > you last week. To bring everyone up to speed :
        > >
        > > About 2 years ago, MS was in negotiations with the University of the
        > > Virgin
        > > Islands for a campus wide license. I was introduced to one the MS guys.
        > > While talking to him I made mention that I had a Mailing List that
        > > where we
        > > discussed technology in the Virgin Islands (vi-tech). I invited him
        > > to join
        > > to provide that MS perspective that though, we had in the group, he
        could
        > > bring the official word. He declined based on previous 'bad'
        > > experiances on
        > > mailing lists in Trinidad. His name is Flavio Calonge. Ring any bells
        ?

        > > stm
        >
        > That must have been before me, and it may have been part of the original
        > ITPS list from what I have heard. All I could find on this fellow:
        >
        > http://tinyurl.com/fyy7
        >
        > Bless Google.
        >
        > I have problems with the title "Intellectual Property Manager", but I'm
        > just a pain in the gluteus maximii. I'm sure he has some inspiring
        > insight into the world of intellectual property... that I simply don't
        > agree with :-D
        >
        > I wonder - is the vi-tech mailing list predominantly proprietary software?
        >
        > Traan

      • Taran Rampersad
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003

          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 3, 2003
            On further reflection, it might really be Flavio.
            (subsequent to the email I sent to Taran explaining the background>
            Not to the list because, well, it's old ITPS list history, and it's
            from my (admittedly) biased perspective.)

            I remember the incident(s). He looked for every harsh word he got
            from the ITPS list.

            --- "Stanford .T. Mings Jr." <stanford@...> wrote:
            > Hey folks, this email is in regards to the converstation I had with
            > some of
            > you last week. To bring everyone up to speed :
            >
            > About 2 years ago, MS was in negotiations with the University of
            > the Virgin
            > Islands for a campus wide license. I was introduced to one the MS
            > guys.
            > While talking to him I made mention that I had a Mailing List that
            > where we
            > discussed technology in the Virgin Islands (vi-tech). I invited
            > him to join
            > to provide that MS perspective that though, we had in the group, he
            > could
            > bring the official word. He declined based on previous 'bad'
            > experiances on
            > mailing lists in Trinidad. His name is Flavio Calonge. Ring any
            > bells ?
            >
            > stm

            =====
            Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago
            ICQ: 5183191; http://chanderspot.go.to

            "If the strength of your new cryptosystem relies on the fact that the attacker does not know the algorithm's inner workings, you're sunk...The best algorithms we have are ones that have been made public, have been attacked by the world's best cryptographers for years, and are still unbreakable."
            --Bruce Scheier; Applied Cryptography (Second Edition); page 7

            http://sbc.yahoo.com