Re: [TTLUG] RULE OUT LINUX ON THE DESKTOP UNTIL 2005, SAYS GIGA

  • Mikhail
    Message 1 of 31 , Jun 4, 2003
      > Bull Droppings. The average user knows enough about Windows to get by.
      > Most of them nowadays don't even know what a prompt is, and if you
      > showed them BASICA they would run away screaming. They are used to GUIS
      > and doing the things I outlined. The same can be done with GNU/Linux, in
      > a GUI environment. Period.

      Too true, Taran. There are those who don't know, and frankly don't
      care, what OS is being run (or what the OS is for that matter). They
      just want their email, word processing, etc. That's what I did on my
      Dad's PC, you know as an experiment sort of. Although I could not
      change the OS (AutoDesk quit the UNIX versions of AutoCAD long ago) I
      installed openoffice and let it take over M$ Office extensions, mozilla
      took over IE chores, and some other open source apps to "subvert" the MS
      apps that he was accustomed to. I left it at that.

      Then a couple weeks later he was asking me how to do something in
      "office." I asked, "Microsoft?" and to my suprise he said "no, that new
      openoffice on the PC."

      I found that in a matter of weeks he was off and away, merrily using his
      new open source tools without complaint and in fact preferring them over
      their M$ counterparts.

      These are the users we need to reach. The ones with no stake in
      proprietary software (although my Dad won't break from AutoCAD, if
      they'd start building Linux/UNIX versions again, I could switch the OS!)
      and just want their basic tools to work well, and their machines to stay
      up and running no matter what exotic software they're running.

      Forget the techs like ourselves. We're too hard-headed, most of us, on
      both sides of the fence...but if the user base shifts, guess where the
      fence gets pushed?
    • Michael Khan
      Message 31 of 31 , Jun 6, 2003
        Allya read the heading good?

        "RULE OUT LINUX ON THE DESKTOP UNTIL 2005, SAYS GIGA"

        That's interesting... the next *major* release of Windows
        supposed to be in 2005.... the killer OS MS is claiming.
        Hmmmmm...

        / MK