Re: [TTLUG] Xeons ? Worth it ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 29, 2000
      How many cooling fans on the case?

      I know that cooling may be an issue that can impact on your
      stability, especially with dual PIIIs or Xeons. with an Inwin, that
      should not be an issue, however. The Inwin has a nice big power
      supply, I imagine. hehe.

      No sound card? May I suggest the Sound Blaster Live (OEM). It's the
      same basic card as the Sound Blaster MP3 Gamer and should be cheap in
      the US. It's also supported nicely in Linux.

      CD ROM - whatever is silentest.

      Network card (you may still use your old machine) 3com?

      There are some Linux-compatible UPSes out there, so you may be
      lucky...

      =====
      http://mail.yahoo.com/
    • Christien Bunting
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 29, 2000
        Oh yes those things.

        The ups does come with Software that's webbased :) I'ts linux compatible.

        As for the nic and soundcard they are minor issues. what ? 50USD each ?

        Hehehe. I dont think I'll go with the SB Live. Let me make sure that that
        card is very much AOK with linux and i dont have to do anything extra to get
        it to work.

        Dual Xeons I said ? Ack! Cancel that order. Been reading all day. They
        aren't worth the extra money. The P3 Xeons come with the same CPU core as
        the Coppermines. The only difference is the management features such as and
        on die thermostat, hehe and some other stuff. The performance between Dual
        P3 Coppermine and Dual P3 Xeon with the same cache are almost I dentical.
        Unnoticible difference in fact. So i guess my 3 minutes of glory has been
        sacked. Hehe. Thank god for review sites.
        The Xeons only make sense if your getting the >2mb Cache versions and you're
        making a Database/FileServer/Information Server that's handing out thousands
        of requests per minute. Hehe.

        Hrm I see the P4 is out. What a thing. Hopefully CPU prises would fall and
        I'd get to do Dual 933. Just kidding. Hehe. Dual 700 is fair enough. Or is
        it ? Hrm we'll all see when I finish this system.