Re: [TTLUG] Err... Does anyone have to license the visible light spectrum (X-post)

  • Mikhail
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
      was wondering when they'd get around to practical apps...but solving the
      line of sight thing is definitely going to be a hassle...the idea
      presented is cumbersome (even in small-scale) at best.

      i guess they could license it...for transmission of data, etc. The
      semantics will have to be very precise though...'cause they may just be
      restricting a person's right to gawk at, say, cute chicks (or, ugh, guys
      - for the cute chicks) , etc.

      More seriously though, visible light is just another part of the em
      spectrum, so if they've got the audacity to license one part, they can
      sure license the visible part.

      There are also the problems that FSO systems face. I think they
      underplayed the weather thing. Attenuation in the visible spectrum
      (even using coherent transmissions, and especially the higher frequency
      blue-light range) during bad weather can be a serious problem depending
      on the application (I wouldn't recommend it for mission critical apps).
      I don't think this will move beyond niche apps anytime soon (but I
      can't predict the future), after all it has been around, mainly in
      scientific interest circles and special apps, for some time.

      The range is short (attenuation problems again), but the bandwidth is
      promising...imagine a community cruisin' the net using visible
      lightwaves? No expensive cables, no cancer-causin microwaves, just
      don't down the barrel of one of these transmitting puppies..you will not
      like the results.

      Mikhail.

      Taran Rampersad wrote:

      ><EGRIN>
      > http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57860,00.html
      ></EGRIN>
      >
      >Now *this* is something.
      >
      >Taran Rampersad
      >http://www.knowprose.com

    • Taran Rampersad
      Message 2 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003

        Message 3 of 12 , Mar 5, 2003
          So...let me get this straight.... They license the light spectrum....
          Does this mean one day I will need permission just to open my eyes?....
          I can't WAIT to see what going to happen when the aliens that"Don't exist"
          come down and before they can say "Greetings earthman..take us to your
          leader", they get a lawyer's letter suing them for using a shade of light
          altering covering (paint) on the ships that violates someone's right to that
          particular section of the light spectrum on account that it broadcast it to
          unlicensed users

          Sort of reminds me of that guy who insured some rare and valuable cigars for
          $500,000.00 and smoked em all ..then put in a claimed for loss due to
          fire..........

          Ah...I'm probably getting ahead of myself..but I am sure someone is gonna
          end up suing a automotive company for using a paint that violates their
          rights to a particular light spectrum...... .... And knowing the human
          race...that's probably going to be in November

          Vlade Malfet
          ICQ#: 6116589
          AOL#: darkvlade
          MSN#: darkvlade@...
          Yahoo! #: darkvlade
          Cell# : 1 868 763 3798
          Internet Pager #: 8687633798@...
          Email: darkvlade@..., darkvlade@...
          Current ICQ status:

          + More ways to contact me

          Taran Rampersad wrote:

          ><EGRIN>
          > http://www.wired.com/news/infostructure/0,1377,57860,00.html
          ></EGRIN>
          >
          >Now *this* is something.
          >
          >Taran Rampersad
          >http://www.knowprose.com

          >http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor ---------------------~--> Get
          128 Bit SSL Encryption!
          http://us.click.yahoo.com/LIgTpC/vN2EAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM
        • Mikhail
          Message 4 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
            Welcome to planet earth (dominant species: pretty dumb creatures with
            bulbous head, and that walk upright on two legs. They go around calling
            themselves intelligent...).

            They might incorporate the license fees in your income tax and call it
            something stupid like vision tax.

            Seeing the the visible spectrum is already a spectrum in heavy use any
            licensing scheme must be restricted to those wanting to broadcast and
            receive coherent light streams with waves (or particles...) that carry
            digital information.

            But, then, if we get deeper into the theory of light we find that all
            info transmitted probably is digital (light, as particles, is discrete
            and not continuous) and only simulates analog behaviour...our eyes are
            just not sophisticated enough to determine that...but that's another topic.

            Hmmm, they may try to license its use, but they will have an uphill battle.

            November??

            Mikhail.

            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
              Yeah...November.... Ever notice that in October November the WEIRDEST things
              happen? If anyone's going to do it, that would be the time.

              Vlade Malfet
              ICQ#: 6116589
              AOL#: darkvlade
              MSN#: darkvlade@...
              Yahoo! #: darkvlade
              Cell# : 1 868 763 3798
              Internet Pager #: 8687633798@...
              Email: darkvlade@..., darkvlade@...
              Current ICQ status:

              + More ways to contact me

              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Vlade Malfet" <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
                > Yeah...November.... Ever notice that in October November the
                WEIRDEST things
                > happen? If anyone's going to do it, that would be the time.

                > Vlade Malfet

                Vlade, I think you're suffering from Creutzfeld Jakobs Disease...
                possibly from eating the brains of other human beings...

                419? The number of Nigerians that Vlade wants to eat :D

                Seriously though - just got through reading a book about the Essex...
                Humans are actually low on calories. 3,000 calories or so for an
                'average human'. Could be a good diet for people trying to lose
                weight. 1 human daily :)

                Taran
                http://www.knowprose.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 6, 2003
                  ......your doing research on eating humans?........

                  0 o

                  Vlade Malfet
                  ICQ#: 6116589
                  AOL#: darkvlade
                  MSN#: darkvlade@...
                  Yahoo! #: darkvlade
                  Cell# : 1 868 763 3798
                  Internet Pager #: 8687633798@...
                  Email: darkvlade@..., darkvlade@...
                  Current ICQ status:

                  + More ways to contact me

                  Message 8 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                    okay, you guys are starting to creep me out with all this cannibalism
                    stuff...

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                      --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, "Vlade Malfet" <blacknwhite@t...> wrote:
                      > ......your doing research on eating humans?........
                      >
                      > 0 o

                      http://www.knowprose.com/archives/00000222.html

                      Figured I would get to know more about it after your email to the
                      'Nigerians' (who probably aren't). You're a bit rotund, so either you
                      have a very slow metabolism - or you're eating 2-3/day. ;)

                      Taran
                      http://www.knowprose.com
                    • Taran Rampersad
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                        --- In TTLUG@yahoogroups.com, Mikhail <misha@t...> wrote:
                        > okay, you guys are starting to creep me out with all this cannibalism
                        > stuff...

                        In a survival situation, I'd have no problem eating another human
                        being, though I would prefer cooking.

                        Hey, who wants to go Down De Islands? :D

                        Just kidding

                        Taran
                        http://www.knowprose.com
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                          *L* ...actually its eating to much pizza.....with my work...I usually end up
                          in some fast food place. so KFC,marios and pizza hut all have me on their
                          most valued customer list. The only time I actually get to eat something at
                          home is usually Sunday.

                          Besides, I don't eat humans......you would need to wash them first. To much
                          work. If you did some more research on the human body you would see that it
                          constantly sheds its skin, the fat in ones body also contains toxins, the
                          sweat glands are constants on the go, and the sweat itself also contains
                          traces of urea and other waste products. Who wants to eat that? PIG meat all
                          the way man, no sweat glands. Chicken is good to, but I keep hearing storied
                          from penal that may make me give up eating chicken if they continue.

                          I just settle for the blood....YUM :)...Noting like that warm thick mild
                          flavor pumping down one's throat..though I will admit the heart has a nice
                          chewy texture.... And while the brain does taste very sweet, I prefer not to
                          eat it. To many Veins........

                          /\/\\
                          |0 o| <---Mr. ASCII
                          \ o /
                          \_/

                          Vlade Malfet
                          ICQ#: 6116589
                          AOL#: darkvlade
                          MSN#: darkvlade@...
                          Yahoo! #: darkvlade
                          Cell# : 1 868 763 3798
                          Internet Pager #: 8687633798@...
                          Email: darkvlade@..., darkvlade@...
                          Current ICQ status:

                          + More ways to contact me

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/xaxhjB/hdqFAA/xGHJAA/0XFolB/TM
                          Message 12 of 12 , Mar 7, 2003
                            Heh...same here. If you really think about it, the body is merely a
                            collection of chemicals, vitamins and proteins and such. So eating the human
                            body really sent that big a deal...its just like when your eating pizza...a
                            food source, its all in your mind... Just repeat to yourself, "there is no
                            spoon"

                            Vlade Malfet
                            ICQ#: 6116589
                            AOL#: darkvlade