Re: [TTLUG] Re: Wireless LAN

  • Kirk Lashley
    Message 1 of 44 , Feb 28, 2003
      Our spectrum is currently "managed", I used quotes to say it is supposed
      to be managed. The Telecommunications Management Authority will license
      certain bands for use in Trinidad & Tobago. The ITU/UWI had undertaken
      a spectrum audit of our spectrum last year and actually did find many
      offenders lurking in spectrums that they thought was free. What this
      means is that to properly allocate the spectrum we need to enforce some
      rules such as 900Mhz cordless phones should not share a spectrum with
      TDMA cellular, and 2.5Ghz cordless phones should not be competing with
      GSM/GPRS, which will interefere with 802.11B (not G).

      Actually some people are working on where things should go, but you
      can't just start using the spectrum in Trinidad, you need a license,
      even if you're using end user equipment. As much as you'd like to think
      you can just set up a wireless LAN in Trinidad, you must first get a
      license. Actually to even have a cordless phone you're supposed to have
      a license. It should fall to the retailers to get the licenses and pass
      them unto the customer; however with the dawn of the Internet we bring
      in all sorts of junk from the US and just start selling eg. the 900Mhz,
      2.5Ghz cordless phones. Why is it that you think radio stations just
      can't start broadcasting on a band that is not being used?

      - Kirk
      Message 44 of 44 , Mar 3, 2003
        Michael K. wrote:
        > Hey Ansar,
        >
        > Thanks a lot. I understand now.
        > So does anyone know of any kind of penalties if we don't have a license?
        > Wouldn't want to go from (_._) to (_o_) in jail.

        ROTFLMAO*2

        Greatest post EVER.