MYSQL on BSD Issues

  • Willie Roopchan
    Message 1 of 18 , Dec 26, 2002
      I am installing mysql on my FreeBSD 4.7 box.
      I did the following steps already

      1) add a group named mysql
      2) add a user named mysql to that group

      when i am installing the grant tables i get the following
      /*
      Installing all prepared tables
      ELF binary type "0" not known.
      Abort trap
      Installation of grant tables failed!
      */

      I know that there are other steps but I think setting up
      the grant tables is of > priority.

      Can you all help?  I went to mysql.com and followed steps
      in the manual but they lead me to the same problem.

      Paradoxxx
    • Dale Chulhan
      Message 2 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
        you might want to try installing a pre-compiled download from:

        ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/4.0-stable/packages/databases/

        or even the port:

        ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/branches/-current/ports/databases/mysql323-server
        Requires: libtool-1.3.4_4
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html#libtool-1.3.4_4>,
        mysql-client-3.23.53
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html#mysql-client-3.23.53>,
        p5-DBI-1.28 <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html#p5-DBI-1.28>,
        p5-Data-ShowTable-3.3
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html#p5-Data-ShowTable-3.3>,
        p5-Mysql-modules-1.2216
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/databases.html#p5-Mysql-modules-1.2216>,
        p5-Net-Daemon-0.36
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html#p5-Net-Daemon-0.36>,
        p5-PlRPC-0.2016 <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/net.html#p5-PlRPC-0.2016>,
        p5-Storable-2.05
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html#p5-Storable-2.05>,
        p5-Test-Simple-0.47
        <http://www.freebsd.org/ports/devel.html#p5-Test-Simple-0.47>

        If you are doing an install from a download from the MySQL website then
        make sure that you do the following as root:

        gunzip <filename>
        tar -xvf <new filename>
        cd <directory tree name>
        ./configure
        make
        make install
        make clean

        You should be good to go here.

        Willie Roopchan wrote:

        > I am installing mysql on my FreeBSD 4.7 box.
        > I did the following steps already
        >
        > 1) add a group named mysql
        > 2) add a user named mysql to that group
        >
        > when i am installing the grant tables i get the following
        > /*
        > Installing all prepared tables
        > ELF binary type "0" not known.
        > Abort trap
        > Installation of grant tables failed!
        > */
        >
        > I know that there are other steps but I think setting up
        > the grant tables is of > priority.
        >
        > Can you all help? I went to mysql.com and followed steps
        > in the manual but they lead me to the same problem.
        >
        > Paradoxxx

        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

        http://shopnow.netscape.com/
      • Willie Roopchan
        Message 3 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
          gunzip <fn> | tar -xf much easier

          the ./configure ain't working
          wish it were that easy

          Willie Roopchan wrote:

          > I am installing mysql on my FreeBSD 4.7 box.
          > I did the following steps already

          > 1) add a group named mysql
          > 2) add a user named mysql to that group

          > when i am installing the grant tables i get the following
          > /*
          > Installing all prepared tables
          > ELF binary type "0" not known.
          > Abort trap
          > Installation of grant tables failed!
          > */

          > I know that there are other steps but I think setting up
          > the grant tables is of > priority.
          >
          > Can you all help?  I went to mysql.com and followed steps
          > in the manual but they lead me to the same problem.

          > Paradoxxx

          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

          http://shopnow.netscape.com/

        • Ansar Mohammed
          Message 4 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
            Greetings Guys,

            I think your binaries are corrupted.. try running

            "file" on your binaries and see what's up.
            Willie the best way to install ported apps on FreeBSD is to use the "ports"
            collection..

            It automatically finds the dependencies and compiles them in the right
            order.

            Navigate to /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
            Become root
            run
            #make
            and then
            #make install

            Willie Roopchan wrote:

            > I am installing mysql on my FreeBSD 4.7 box.
            > I did the following steps already

            > 1) add a group named mysql
            > 2) add a user named mysql to that group

            > when i am installing the grant tables i get the following
            > /*
            > Installing all prepared tables
            > ELF binary type "0" not known.
            > Abort trap
            > Installation of grant tables failed!
            > */

            > I know that there are other steps but I think setting up
            > the grant tables is of > priority.
            >
            > Can you all help?  I went to mysql.com and followed steps
            > in the manual but they lead me to the same problem.

            > Paradoxxx

            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

            http://shopnow.netscape.com/

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • RichardJ@ngc.co.tt
            Message 5 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
              General info on postgresql - might be useful.

              http://www.linuxmafia.com/~rick/lecture-notes/postgresql
            • Willie Roopchan
              Message 6 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
                This is the copy i got from the mysql home page.

                ./configure
                NOTE: This is a MySQL binary distribution. It's ready to run, you don't
                need to configure it!

                To help you a bit, I am now going to create the needed MySQL databases
                and start the MySQL server for you.  If you run into any trouble, please
                consult the MySQL manual, that you can find in the Docs directory.

                ELF binary type "0" not known.
                [1]   Abort trap
                ELF binary type "0" not known.
                [1]   Abort trap
                ELF binary type "0" not known.
                [1]   Abort trap

                Message 7 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002

                  BTW, what version of FreeBSD are you using?

                  Did you compile a custom kernel?

                  I suspect that you have downloaded the Linux version of MySQL..

                  And you need to have linux support on FreeBSD..

                  Run /stand/sysinstall and add linux support.

                  But I really would feel better off if you did the install from ports….. you would get better performance.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
                    4.7 and yes I install linux support.
                    I'll get that version you nominated and
                    try that out, hope apache and php don't
                    give this much trouble

                  • dchulhan <dalechulhan@netscape.net>
                    Message 9 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
                      Boss you forgot

                      ./configure

                      very important

                      > Navigate to /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
                      > Become root
                      > run
                      > #make
                      > and then
                      > #make install
                    • Willie Roopchan
                      Message 10 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
                        ok i am not a total loser
                        ./configure
                        make
                        make install

                        The mysql doc said that its already built or something like
                        that and gave me some steps to follow.  One of them lead
                        me to an error which i posted.

                        I'll try this ported thing and come back with the results
                        > Navigate to /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
                        > Become root
                        > run
                        > #make
                        > and then
                        > #make install

                      • Ansar Mohammed
                        Message 11 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002
                          You do not need to run a configure script to use FreeBSD ports..

                          In fact you can’t .. there isn’t one ;)

                          > Navigate to /usr/ports/databases/mysql323-server
                          > Become root
                          > run
                          > #make
                          > and then
                          > #make install

                          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

                        • Ansar Mohammed
                          Message 12 of 18 , Dec 27, 2002

                            Apache might.

                            I found that if you compile Apache current from source that you have to leave the source on the system

                            I had to go back to version 2.0.42

                            I suggest strongly that you use Apache 1.x and not 2.x; since the modules for 1.x will not work on 2.x. And most of the modules that were written for 1.x have not been ported.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Dec 28, 2002
                              Story followed by questions

                              i went to /usr/ports i believe
                              i saw a mysql folder when i opened it i saw the "makefile"
                              so i said to myself thats the ticket.

                              When i ran it, it asked for the source files, i found a 4mb
                              file on one of the cds that matched the name
                              "mysql...."  I placed it in the directory "/usr/ports"
                              then re-ran make.  It told me that it still could find it
                              and that it looked in the /usr/ports/...

                              "mysql-3.23.52.tar.gz doesn't seem to exist in /usr/ports/distfiles/.age ----- "

                              It then began a download sequence. I think its downloading the file.
                              Tell me more about this "update feature"

                              I installed samba with the greatest of ease, when it comes time to update
                              can i set it up that it can be done as easy as the mysql update?

                              How can i add stuff to the path?  I wish to put in a few folders.
                              I used the PATH feature, but it didn't work, didn't even run as
                              a valid program
                              ----- Original MessFrom: Ansar Mohammed

                              Message 14 of 18 , Dec 28, 2002
                                Excellent...

                                Now you see the sheer value of the ports collection.

                                The idea of the ports collection is that if you need the latest version of a
                                particular port it will search a local cache.. if it doesn’t exist there the
                                makefile will point to the port source on the internet.. then download it,
                                any prerequisite software; then extract (tar -zxf fn is actually the easiest
                                way) and compile. Run make install and you are good to go.

                                If you need the later versions you can get the ports from
                                http://www.freebsd.org/ports/

                                About your PATH settings.. it all depends on your choice of shell. What’s
                                your shell?

                                Message 15 of 18 , Dec 28, 2002
                                  after the dload 1) make install and i was good to go
                                  did that for apache and i got every thing working.

                                  Lets say there are updates to the port list eg, apache3
                                  can i update the port list?
                                  instead of going to that bsd/ports site?

                                  I am using SH i think thats the default.  Most linux
                                  use BASH am i right?

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Dec 28, 2002

                                     You can update the ports collection using cvsup and then recompile your programs.

                                    See:

                                    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-using.html

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Dec 31, 2002
                                      My bad I thought you were talking about a direct download from the
                                      website...

                                      The nice thing about the ports is that is you are connected to the
                                      internet, an attempt will be made to download and install any
                                      dependancies in the order they are needed.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Dec 31, 2002
                                        hey it made my day