Re: [TTLUG] Re: [Tech] Redhat Linux 8.0 is out!

    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 30, 2002
      minimum 9 cd..with allthe divers on the cd's..but ..considering allthe ahrdware you may have...14 or so is a more realistic guess....
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2002
        --- In TTLUG@y..., Kerry Panchoo <kpanchoo@r...> wrote:
        > I agree that the distros are getting bigger with every release, there
        > was a time that the entire distro with source code came on 1 cd. But
        now
        > you get tonnes more apps and productivty tools packaged to be installed
        > properly as part of the Distro. I have choice and quality- I'm willing
        > to download 5 CDs for that.

        With some distros you can install a minimal Linux with just the first
        CD and add packages to it over the Net if that is more your style.
        Debian is one of these. Debian 3.0r0 is 7 CD's i386 binaries, and 7
        CD source code, but you only need the first one to begin to be
        productive with Linux. But with dodgy Net connection I can imagine
        why one might want all 14 disks. You can spend a whole year offline
        just exploring the packages. Documentation is included of course.
        How many CD's would one require for an equivalent Windows system with
        documentation included?

        I'm not such a great fan of the Redhat x.0 releases as they tend to be
        of betaware quality -- recall RedHat 6.0 woes anyone?. I can hardly
        wait for the 8.3 release though. Imperial College switched to SuSE
        this year and their distro is like 7 CD's worth of stuff, most of
        which you wouldn't use.

        If you can write down a concise list of exactly which packages you use
        and might want in the immediate future then you can always create your
        own distro. It might even fit on one single CD-ROM. Think I'm
        joking? Check out:

        http://cd-linux.org/overview.htm

        They aim to make it easy to build your own single CD distro from
        packages that you choose. Now if they can run this as a service on
        the Net then we'd have a winner here. With similar ideas there's:

        http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/

        Freedom of choice! Doncha love it?

        --
        Adrian