off topic

  • Vishal Ramcharan
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
      i know this may be radically off topic.. but im collectiong software for dos... anyone have any to "donate" ? there is a reason for this... instead of using linux (which is sometiems bulky) on older machines... i want to try to use freedos ( www.freedos.org ) as a  terminal client to a linux terminal server

      any suggestions or comments on this one??

      Vishal
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
        A large portion of the FreeDos project is open source, I believe.

        It's allowed.

        Dev should have the latest FreeDos CD, and i think that I may have one around here somewhere.

        Actually, you do not know the meaning of frustration until you spend your whole morning trying to bring back a 286-10 which refuses to boot. To make things worse, it's an
        IBM PS/2 MCA bus thingy.

        And I got to go online to look for a reference diskette, because the copy of the original one (long since gone missing) has gone loco.

        On 8 Jul 2002 at 17:29, Vishal Ramcharan wrote:

        > i know this may be radically off topic.. but im collectiong software for dos... anyone have any to "donate" ? there is a reason for this... instead of using linux (which is sometiems bulky) on older machines... i want to try to use freedos ( www.freedos.org ) as a terminal client to a linux
        terminal server

        > any suggestions or comments on this one??
        >
        > Vishal

      • Vishal Ramcharan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
          i remember those..,i even believe i have one lying around somewhere.... luckily the oldest machine i have is a pentium 100 with 16 mb ram .. and thats after the upgrade ...
          i currently have (AFTER an entire night up tilll 5am) freedos 0.8 running on my machine.. and on the network also ...seeing both my linux and windows pc..so im happy thus far
          dev thanks for the site some great stuff there ... anyone know why dos dosent seem to accept or what i can do to make it accept a riser card ?? its not detecting my moden nor sound card because there on a riser card any suggestions ?

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
            a riser card is basically an extension of the mainboard..its suposed to work...is it working under other os's?....rmember you need doss drivers for some stuff also...

            (good lord its been AGES since i used dos....suprisingle i still knwo the commands..

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 8, 2002
              Mostlikely, no DOS drivers for the riser cards.

              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 9, 2002
                I used ot have a old AT&R computer when a riser card..using dos stuff
                worked..but you had to load TSR's (Terminate and stay residnet) for some of
                the cards in there to work...you knwo..like the mscdex and bitcom.sys files.
                for cd'rom drives.....give me a list of the cards you have installed in
                there.....type, manufacturere and model number if possable..i'll see what i
                can dig up for ya...
                > Mostlikely, no DOS drivers for the riser cards.
                >

                > On 8 Jul 2002 at 22:50, Vlade Malfet wrote:
                >
                > > a riser card is basically an extension of the mainboard..its suposed to
                work...is it working under other os's?....rmember you need doss drivers for
                some stuff also...

                > > (good lord its been AGES since i used dos....suprisingle i still knwo
                the commands..

              • David McKen
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 30, 2003
                  Message
                  Nah, the fact that we will actually be seeing nigerians around will tell us you are out of the country.