How much will you pay for Broadband ?

  • Kerry Panchoo
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
      Hi,

      What would you pay for broadband internet access ?

      considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
      equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
      TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.

      you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
      Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent) there
      are NO other charges
      also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.

      how much will u pay ???

      Kerry
    • Kirk Lashley
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
        Pay? I'm hoping someone gets it, installs a wireless network for my
        neighbourhood and we all chip in a $100TT a month to keep the service.

        Kirk

      • marcus.lewis@caribbeer.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
          Werd!

          ~Elvis

          Kirk Lashley
          <klashley@rts To: TTLUG@yahoogroups.com
          g.uwi.tt> cc:
          Subject: Re: [TTLUG] How much will you pay for Broadband ?
          06/28/02
          03:54 PM
          Please
          respond to
          TTLUG

          Mikhail Noel wrote:

          > How much do folks in the US pay? As far as I'm concerned TSTT, and
          > others, overcharge
          > for crappy service. In an era of broadband we are still limping along
          > with 56K speeds at exhorbitant price levels in this backward plantain
          > republic.
          >
          > If you ask how much I would like to pay, I'll tell you no more that
          > folks in the US are paying (~125US/mnth).
          > I'd also want my own equiptment, and zero hassle.
          >
          > However, I understand that any company would have higher overheads in
          > T&T, but I'd still not drift much higher.
          >
          > Mikhail.
          >
          > Kerry Panchoo wrote:
          >
          > >Hi,
          > >
          > >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
          > >
          > >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
          > >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
          > >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36
          months.

          > >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about
          500K.
          > >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent) there
          > >are NO other charges
          > >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
          > >
          > >how much will u pay ???
          > >
          > >Kerry

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Vishal Ramcharan
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
            What type of broadband are you refering to? as far as i know.. cable runs about 35us/month.. adsl about 45
            for 125.. youre looking at a  t1 or higher

            Kerry Panchoo wrote:

            >Hi,
            >
            >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
            >
            >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
            >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
            >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.
            >
            >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
            >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent)  there
            >are NO other charges
            >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
            >
            >how much will u pay ???
            >
            >Kerry

          • Kerry Panchoo
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
              well i pay CAD$40.00 (~TT$160.00) for cable internet- which is not without is problems- the max speed is about 384K, outages.. slow times but generally better than dial-up.

              it was hell using TSTT dial-up for 2 weks.. it really was the ' world wide wait'

              Kerry

              Kerry Panchoo wrote:

              >Hi,
              >
              >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
              >
              >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
              >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
              >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.
              >
              >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
              >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent)  there
              >are NO other charges
              >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
              >
              >how much will u pay ???
              >
              >Kerry

            • Mikhail A. Noel
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
                Well, there you go!  I'm still thinking prices of yesteryear (1999/2000 I think).
                And the highwaymen want us to pay a whopping 800+ plus for a stinkin' 128K
                wireless (and I think that's what the initial price range for cable...though I may be wrong).
                Backward, plantain republic, with business bandits who think we all livin' in ah cave
                an' doh kno' what is what!!
                Really, I know its old tech, but why oh why is TSTT still charging thousand per month for ISDN?!?

                Kerry Panchoo wrote:

                >Hi,
                >
                >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
                >
                >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
                >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
                >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.
                >
                >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
                >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent)  there
                >are NO other charges
                >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
                >
                >how much will u pay ???
                >
                >Kerry

              • Mikhail Noel
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 28, 2002
                    hey monopoly..most of us have no choice whatsoever...and we are all...relativly STUPID.... so we pay 10X mroe than the world...becasue simply "we want it"..and if we were to say strike by not paying and not using the net..we would all soon die casue we need outr fix....and anyway...tehy dont have any comptition .......

                    BTW.,... If I had to pay $3,500.00 for equiptment and then jsut $150.00 a month for broad band access.....I would do it in a heart beat....

                    Kerry Panchoo wrote:

                    >Hi,
                    >
                    >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
                    >
                    >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
                    >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
                    >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.
                    >
                    >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
                    >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent)  there
                    >are NO other charges
                    >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
                    >
                    >how much will u pay ???
                    >
                    >Kerry

                  • deosaran bisnath
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 29, 2002
                      It's the Cost of Happiness & Wellness if you live in Trinidad.
                      I pay about $TT 1000 for proximity@home. I also have a backup rave-tt
                      account.
                      Worth every cent. Just mention Internet to friends & relatives and you are
                      drowned
                      in a litany of woes, complaints, anguish, whining, crying... the NET
                      service in
                      TT is pitiful, and will remain so as long as TSTT remains in the primitive
                      world of
                      telecommunications.

                      Today's Trinidad Guardian has a letter from a TSTT NET customer. It can
                      make a
                      grown man cry, even on a glorious Saturday morning.

                      >From: Kerry Panchoo <kpanchoo@...>
                      >To: ttlug@yahoogroups.com, TheTechies <TheTechies@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: [TTLUG] How much will you pay for Broadband ?
                      >Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 13:45:17 -0400
                      >
                      >Hi,
                      >
                      >What would you pay for broadband internet access ?
                      >
                      >considering you have an additional cost of either buying a piece of
                      >equiptment that costs about TT$3500.00 or rent the equiptment at
                      >TT$150.00 a month with a $1000.00 down, but became yours after 36 months.
                      >
                      >you get 24/7 always on broadband internet access up speeds of about 500K.
                      >Apart from the internet access (and rental if you choose to rent) there
                      >are NO other charges
                      >also consider TSTT unlimited @ 56K is TT$700+ VAT.
                      >
                      >how much will u pay ???
                      >
                      >Kerry

                    • Kerry Panchoo
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 2, 2002
                        well i've been doing some investigation of broadband satellite net access- problem is that there is currently no coverage by the less costly 2-way providers. Remember one way sucks cos u still have to use you phone line.  But from what i hear, things are in the works.. u can expect the cost to be about $400.00+ +VAT for 2 way, always-on 500K.. the time frame is unknown.. so dont hold your breath.

                        laters,
                        Kerry