Open Source code assurance

    Message 1 of 2 , May 30, 2002
      As you may be aware, the open source movement have been advising its clients of the various open source licenses in response to inaccurate claims by other companies
      that these licenses lead to code contamination. I would like to take this opportunity to ensure that you understand this model and that you are aware of the options that
      exist for your organization and how you can add value to your company by taking advantage of this new model.

      There is only be one way of obtaining this type of software license. This is;

      (1) Code Assurance

      Code Assurance – You will be able to obtain a full open source license for any product covered under an open source license, such as the BSD, X11, MPL, and GNU GPL
      licenses. This license is a perpetual license and allows you to use that software forever or as long as you want to. It does not expire and you install on it
      as many computers as you wish. You obtain binary code, full source code and software updates for the life of the product.

      In addition, you have full permission to review, amend, reproduce and redistribute the code subject to the conditions of the open source license you use.

      Implicit in this type of licensing is permission to obtain the most recent updates with full source code, without the need to obtain a separate licenses for each update.

      Support for the packages covered is covered under many options. Commercial support for open source can be purchased from leading companies, e.g. IBM and Sun.
      Alternatively, companies interesting in exploring the Linux (TM) option can purchase a distribution and support from the maker of that distribution.

      While open source is not for everyone, you do have choices. You can choose the open software with the license that is right for you. You can even choose to purchase a
      “license” for proprietary software, if you believe that is the right choice for you.

      However, we of the open source movement believe that the ability of the user to control the data is far more vital than the need of a company to keep data formats as a
      “moving target”. As a result, open source applications use open formats with clear specifications not controlled by any one company, while maintaining backward
      compatibility with legacy proprietary applications

      For further information on these licensing models please feel free
      to visit

      http://www.opensource.org
      http://www.linux.com
      http://www.redhat.com
      http://www.ibm.com/linux
      http://www.freebsd.com
      http://www.gnu.org

      As usual, I am also available to assist in any query that may arise.

      Regards,

      Richard Jobity
      Tunapuna,
      Trinidad and Tobago.

      P.S. Please feel free to forward this mail to anyone who may be interested in learning more about making an informed decision based on the options above.
    • BaddBoyChris
      Message 2 of 2 , May 31, 2002
        I think your piece has captured the strengths of the alternative O/Ss
        quite well... In fact, I can just imagine Microsoft-West Indies & Co.
        quaking in their boots because of the sudden thrust for alternate O/S
        awareness... Even in what could transpire through such awareness and
        may even spread throughout the region...

        Given that the west indies is no different from other regions
        Microsoft has tried to de-rail Linux movements in, I think it'll be
        presumable M$ will be realeasing some sort of P.R. to counter this
        article. Or perhaps they'll offer some sort of "sweetheart deal" or
        temporary "sale" to quell anxyities in hopes it'll all blow over.

        None-the-less one point for the movement is that it's also fair to
        think most companies would probably be willing to experiment before
        they actually dub a flat out "no" to opting for an atleast partial
        Linux environment. At least having a partial environment allows those
        companies to keep costs in check.

        On a completely side note. Something I also observed in reguards to
        that Peru article. Dully noted- this is a "Microsoft world". I mean
        that in the sense that Linux developers are building in eclipsing
        shaddow of the Windows consumer base. Given that, the a many of the
        alternative OSes are beginning to have all kinds of programs for
        interoperability with Microsoft standards.

        Example: Linux has Samba for working/playing nicely with Microsoft
        networking.

        There really is getting to be allot of software to allow individuals
        to be somewhat interoperable with this "microsoft planet".

        That means somewhere down-the-road after a company were to go
        partially Linux(or other options) sooner or later those corporations
        maybe able to leave the Windows area completely. And those
        interoperable programs should still allow them to hopefully keep up
        with other companies/individuals that are still windows environments.

        I notice in Microsoft's argument towards Peru's they didn't mention
        that more then likely there will probably be *some* form of software
        already out-in-the-wild that would make the current Microsoft cached
        data interoperable with Linux. Or if not, Peru can still outsource a
        small developer contract to write some...

        If an individual is willing to take some time, any data eventually can
        be extracted from a windows environment.

        Something namely the linux community has to put up with is that some--
        places will be stubborn in not switching and in the meantime- there
        must be different means provided to still be able to do business with
        the other 95%+/- percent of the planet running Windows.

        So much of the propaganda in that article about. "it'll cost soo much
        to switch. And you wont be able to do anything with current data on
        windows is incorrect." Chances are there'll be ways it can be
        procured from those few windows based systems.

        If not, you can easily do something like make an intranet enabled or
        browser based application on the old system to query through the old
        data... And with some creativity it can probably be made to look
        totally normal. Think about it. Some places still use the older Vax
        systems which are as old as dirty-- and plenty of places still have
        them interfacing with lost of new equipment.

        Anyway, paying for conversion as an immediate cost is like investing
        in a new suit prior to going to a job interview. It maybe an upfront
        cost but it's better then going in with a wrip white T-shirt and
        jeans. If one doesn't cough up a little something to convert then
        they're guaranteeing year after year that X-amount of all profits will
        be going almost like a utility bill to M$.

        In other words: If you don't convert you pay. If you do convert you
        pay a small bit. But soon there after you become the master of your
        own domain. After all. An operating system is needed to interface
        with your hardware. Why should you have to pay for a processor and
        have to pay for the OS too??? You need both, so shouldn't it be a
        package deal. :-)

        Linux isn't suposed to be tallied as Free as in like someone offering
        "free beer" but allot of the time it's "low cost" to obtain- can be an
        added perk to making the switch. More often then not you can get
        basic packages to do basic things. And if you choose you can pay a
        small something for overly enhanced things. :-) Most of the time the
        open source/public domain offerings will be adequate.

        ~BBC