Linux Books in Trinidad, anything Linux in Trinidad

  • Deosaran Bisnath
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
      Hi,
      I returned to Trinidad a few weks ago to rest & recuperate. One of my
      clients in NJ has been converting to LINUX and in fact has converted nearly
      90% of his hardware & about 50% of software. I will be doing some part time
      consulting work while in Trinidad and I am looking for information about
      Linux in Trinidad. Most of my previous work experience has been with WINDOWS
      , and Visual C++, in the financial markets.

      - where can I get Linux books in Trinidad?
      I am looking for newbie/tutorial type books and also these:
      "Linux Shells by Example" by Quigley
      "Vi Improved --Vim" By Steve Oualline

      I prefer books, hard copy pages, rather than online stuff because I spend
      too much time in front of the screen and reading is more convenient when I
      am not home or in front of the computer.

      Is there any Linux shop in Trinidad? where I can get a PC with Linux and
      other linux-related stuff installed, and also where tech support is
      available. I also want to network two WINDOWS computers and the new LINUX
      PC.

      Advice & suggestions are most welcome.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2002
        I didn't see this message until now.

        1. Linux books in Trinidad. Offhand, I'd say Creative Computers, POS may have a book or two. Apart from that, you're stuck with Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble. If
        you need a list of titles, just indicate, and we will provide some books you might want to get.

        As for getting a PC with Linux on it, your best bet is to get a PC sold without an OS (if you don't want to dualboot - any PC store should do it) and bringing the machine to a
        TTLUG meeting and letting us install it for you. Just tell us beforehand. In case you need distros, just shout on the mailing list, and we can provide a selection of the
        recent stuff.

        Tech support- there are two or three guys on the list who have companies that will provide Linux support, as well as help setting up Samba networking services.

        And of course, the mailing list will provide a good source of free support, once you do not abuse our good natures <grin>