Re: Which OS is the best?????

  • donnyr_10
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
      David ,

      This has been the stance for many ppl I know both on the
      TECHIES list and TTLUG, however the Zealots do exist and it's
      up to us in unmoderated forums to try our best to expose them
      to the wonders of open sided thinking..

      I think the point that every OS has a place and function
      holds true, but also TTLUG is our Local Linux support group
      and hence a natural inclination to be more pro Linux..

      I have been on lists where M$ bashing is the Norm, and it bores
      easily with pathetic one liners and no real Info, TTLUG is doing a
      great job keeping Linux support lines open in particular Richard in
      keeping egos and FLAMES in check..

      Lets hope things keep on the "up and up"
      and keep "Bill bashers in the closet with the old 386 PC's" last
      thing I heard those things were extinct <grin>

      Take Care
      Don..
    • Kirk Lashley
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2002
        Put simply I think this can be rephrased into: Which OS is best, for which
        application, for which user? Because I'm now comfortable with a range of
        hetrogeneous systems, I just choose the bets one for my applications, my
        server needs, my development etc. It's true, for now Windows is king on the
        desktop - there's no denying that, it's very interoperable actually, with
        everybody from MacOS to Linux users trying to make document converters and
        Wine and WineX becoming so popular, because some software companies have
        spent good time developing apps for this operating system. I think because
        it's so accessible, average joes spend more time exploiting and writing about
        its weaknesses than they do with Linux and BSD... BTW, my up2date program
        always has a bunch of programs to install at least once a week, so patches
        come out just as often, only on the down-low.

        My personal preference is Linux on the server, only because I didn't like the
        FreeBSD installer... it hadn't changed from since ver 2.2. But functionally
        BSD is better (purer?) than Linux, and the license is nicer... I'll admit it
        now, but more development is being done for the Linux side of things. I was
        looking for a JSDK a couple years ago for BSD 2.4 but only up to JDK 1.18 was
        supported, so I made a decision to go with Linux just to get the Java2
        platform running on Linux. Now I don't think we have any purists here, we've
        all touched a Windows machine (sometimes more than we'd have liked to admit).

        Many things come into play when asking which is the best OS.
        - Who are you?, example (grandmother, techie, english student, editor,
        graphic designer, systems admin)
        - How much am I willing to spend (that usually determines which are outside
        of your range)
        - Which applications do I want to use? (that eliminates a bunch of the
        platforms right there)
        - Will the operating system work with my current and future hardware needs?
        - Is there any support for that operating system locally? (Often overlooked,
        but try installing BeOS, and see how many people are profiecient enough to
        give you 100% concrete advice in times of trouble...most of us have merely
        looked at the OS)
        - Is the company reputable, or am I expecting it to go out of business before
        the next year? (Tru64 users might want to start looking for a new 64bit
        operating system sometime soon, although Compaq plans to support, I believe
        until 2005)
        - Is it esthetically pleasing to me.. i.e. usuable? (sounds like a strange
        one huh? I know a PC purist, who loved the idea of Windows, and then Linux,
        just got captivated by the MacOSX - as have all of us, it was powerful and
        yet pretty). Most people other than the hardcore techies are concerned with
        the user interface, there are still some of us, who in Windows look for the
        "DOS window" and in Linux, Solaris, BSD, the first program we run is a
        terminal window. However look and feel has a lot to do with almost
        everything we buy, hence there are so many "new" cars on the road, the
        Hillman Hunters did the job just fine, and they were practical...

        There is no super OS (yet?), which is a perfect fit for all people, for all
        times, in all places. Sorry.

        Good luck trying to find one.

        Kirk