RE: [TTLUG] Linux exams

  • Nolan Joseph
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 10, 2002
      Of course. Shouldn't have forgotten that one :) It's about time RPM become
      apt compatible.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 10, 2002
        Of course not.

        MCSEs out our ass and not one good Open Source course to take in the
        country. UWI is good, but does not run all the time, probably
        because of lack of demand.

        Of course, that is because people prefer the devil they know... and
        the educational institutions are out to fill a need. The problem
        with Linux classes is that apart from some people in the group, there
        is little demand for it. Even if there is demand, who's gonna teach
        it? Chris sells some CDs, as do I, so there is some interest there.

        But I digress.

        I can think offhand of three people on the list currently in Trinidad
        who can teach Linux at all levels, up to and including RHCE.

        I suppose that when the demand is there we will start to see the
        Linux classes. And I'm not talking about 3 day intros to Linux for
        $2000 US. Sigh.

        So, for now we either pony up the $$$ to go away and do the classes
        thing, or teach each other.

        =====
        **************
        Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago
        ICQ: 5183191; AIM: richjob; http://chanderspot.go.to
        calendar at http://calendar.yahoo.com/richjob

        "I see dead websites."
        http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

        Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
        http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
      • Nolan Joseph
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 10, 2002
          Yeah. Meanwhile I'll keep plugging away at my boxes, reading and coming to
          meetings (of course :)
          Also, I'll see how far I can get with Linux+ for openers.

          Nolan
          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 10, 2002
            You guys have probably seen this. Still funny as hell.

            http://petemoss.com/spamflames/ShifmanIsAMoronSpammer.html

            Redefines the term "he look fuh dat!"

            =====
            **************
            Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago
            ICQ: 5183191; AIM: richjob; http://chanderspot.go.to
            calendar at http://calendar.yahoo.com/richjob

            "I see dead websites."
            http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

            Send FREE video emails in Yahoo! Mail!
            http://promo.yahoo.com/videomail/
          • donnyr_10
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 11, 2002
              Ahh...apt..yup in particular apt-get, easy utility
              for upgrades especially if you're on the Net with a fast ONE..
              in Debian (based) Systems the file usually in /etc/apt/sources.list
              specifies locations where packages can be obtained..

              Remember DO NOT add a sote to that file unless
              you're sure it can be trusted, cause apt-get does auto and semi
              automatic updates so if the sites have packages that contain
              vulnerable programs then you're shooting yourself in the foot with
              apt-get..

              And don't forget dpkg <grin>
              remember that debian packages are incompatible
              with RPM's

              Take Care
              Don

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 11, 2002
                I know what you're saying my friend
                After the course in Florida, we did
                a Linux's Trainers course, because
                I have to Teach some of our Administrators up the Islands
                Linux and our Company requires that we attend
                the Trainers course after completing the RHL Product course
                , after that I may Train some people in Trindad also
                and yes <grin> it helps wit de paper..hahahaha.....

                Take Care
                Don

                --- In TTLUG@y..., Nolan Joseph <njoseph@c...> wrote:
                > Thanks Don,
                >
                > I know what U mean about hands-on knowledge and I'd be more than
                happy to
                > keep plugging away on my boxes at home to gain a modicum of said
                knowledge,
                > but I have to teach it and the powers-that-be want to see "de
                paper" <sigh>

                > -
              • donnyr_10
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 11, 2002
                  Yup Rich is right, Training companys are just going on demand
                  and the problem is the plethora of MCSE's jumping in the
                  the mainstream workplace...

                  Linux will IMHO pick up steam this year , at least in the
                  Training industry, but like richard says, demand is not quite there
                  yet. My fear is that Linux Training will become like M$ Training
                  and not worth it's weight in salt..only time will tell..
                  and I would hate to see Linux Training taking place like M$ with less
                  than adequate Trainers and Labs...<sigh> but eh we living in
                  T & T and anything could happen

                  I know for a fact that TrainX will be doing some Linux Training this
                  year for <yes Richard> $2000 US + Over for a five day course...
                  Yeah boy Life HARD....

                  My course in Florida was company paid, and all the Technical Managers
                  from the Countries Attended, but let me give you an idea of what
                  happened , it was two weeks intensive 16 Hours Days (1 day was for
                  shopping) it was product specific on red Hat <I know richard cussing>
                  but was tailored for our environment, by the 5 day ppl were tired as
                  hell...and the Trainers were from Ret Hat and it was rumored
                  that they were getting $9000 US PER DAY....so I say WOW !!!!!

                  I did the Courses for Cisco , Microsoft & AIX in Florida also
                  and I don't think anything can beat a good Instructor and some
                  real life..I don't have a clue how ppl can self-study..
                  I find it near impossible to get time for myself in a day
                  to read a book. I guess if you have time, the books, a lab
                  and a really really strong determination yep.it's possible.
                  But I DO NOT recommmend self study if you're not in the environmant
                  for obvious reasons...

                  Take Care
                  Don....
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 11, 2002
                    I hope so.

                    Thing is, Linux training has no real "standards base", though
                    SAIR/LPI/RHCE do good work.

                    I KNOW that one of the problems is no qualified people. And they
                    can't afford to hire the few qualified people.

                    Another thing would be the differences in schools of thought.

                    Do you teach people to USE Linux (GUI tools, and do all the whizbang
                    stuff, minimum of command line configs - less emphasis on cool server
                    tools) or do you teach people to ADMIN linux (much more command-line
                    stuff, server and network configuration, and exposing people to the
                    power of concatenation and grep).

                    I think that the jury is still out on that one, though I know what
                    the old UNIX greybeards would say.

                    Granny may get a Linux box, but for her it should be "turn on, surf
                    the web, use email, write some documents, send some pics, manage a
                    little money... that level of work". She should not have to learn to
                    use grep and cat, or ever have to open up a terminal window.

                    Other users, other needs.

                    I have actually seen some hacked Linux boxes (tweaked KDE or IceWM)
                    that allow the basics (WP, email, web, checkbook) selling online.

                    http://greetings.yahoo.com