MDK 8.1 & STAR OFFICE 6 BETA (Reply to Meng)

  • Rich~!
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
      Funny you should say that. I have the next TTLUG meeting (21st October) and I was planning to
      do SO 6beta. Of course, since the Mandrake 8.1 came, I'll do a bit on that too.

      Installed it yesterday, and have been playing with it.

      It is a lot more friendly :-)

      THe acid test is to put it in front of a Windows person and see if he/she can use it and do the
      basic things.

      Of course, YMMV. AS you are on the cutting edge, there are some issues. My sound card
      works fine, but it is not detected as a SoundBlaster PCI 64, but some Japanese name.

      On 12 Oct 2001 at 6:19, Meng . wrote:

      > i have spent the last day fooling with the following 2 toys
      > mdk8.1 & star office 6.0 beta
      >
      > mdk 8.1 is sweeeet. lots of performance differences speedwise comparing to
      > 8.0 and
      > so easy to configure. I my self thought i was on my win box. Its extremely
      > eye catching.
      > A not so smart person could configure this thing without watching.
      >
      > As for star office 6.0beta. Ist not even done and i think its a big winner.
      > I have documents i am working on in office 2000(excel & word). I opened them
      > made my changes
      > and wow!! every thing looked identical.then for the big test,yes it made a
      > perfect export with its
      > 2000/xp save option(it even selected the option its self). The spread sheet
      > extract i had
      > in my word document was even properly intact. I even added another just for
      > sport. when i got back to
      > windows it was a prefect copy.(i think i better stop. i try so much
      > complicated things &
      > get through it aint funny)you just have to try it for yourself. its lovely

      **********************
      Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
      http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191
      ---------------------------------------

      This message is sent from my HOME account.
      For anyone who may be reading this, the opinions
      expressed here are mine, and not of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
      Any endorsement or non-endorsement of any good or service
      in this email is based on MY personal experiences and
      does not reflect the experiences of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001

        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
          The last time I used Wine under Mandrake, I had to copy some example file to wine.conf.

          Try the Codeweavers WINE files. They may be a bit easier to configure.

          **********************

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
            It's Mandrake. Some people catch hell, some people think it is easy.

            **********************

              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                Does anyone have mdk 8.1 for sale as yet or can I supply the blank cd's and
                have it copied?

                NMAL

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • next@browwwsers.com
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                  Tried the 6.0 works heaps better than he 5.2. Great for a beta.
                  Still a tad slow on loading but the lack of that desktop is a boon.

                  allan
                • Kerry Panchoo
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                    yes i'm using Staroffice 6.0 beta right now- worsk very well- handles Word2000 files well-
                    with little formatting changes- thats an ordinary .doc file- i havent tried out anything
                    complex. All in all it is the BEST office suite available for linux. Also i should mention that
                    ABIword is also ok- worth looking at.

                    Kerry

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                      Just to add in my 2 cents here, Gobe software are coming out with a
                      Linux version of their GoBe office productivity suite. Since Be
                      isn't going anywhere right now, the guys decided to port their
                      officeuite to Windows and Linux.

                      Normally, I wouldn't pimp this out like this, but these are the
                      original guys behind ClarisWorks. The coolest desktop code I ever
                      saw. Given the fact that they were doing stuff in 1992 that
                      Microsoft didn't do properly until about 1997, it is definitely worth
                      a look.

                      --- Kerry Panchoo <kpanchoo@...> wrote:
                      > yes i'm using Staroffice 6.0 beta right now- worsk very well-
                      > handles
                      > Word2000 files well-
                      > with little formatting changes- thats an ordinary .doc file- i
                      > havent
                      > tried out anything
                      > complex. All in all it is the BEST office suite available for
                      > linux.
                      > Also i should mention that
                      > ABIword is also ok- worth looking at.
                      >
                      > Kerry
                      >

                      > next@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Tried the 6.0 works heaps better than he 5.2. Great for a beta.
                      > > Still a tad slow on loading but the lack of that desktop is a
                      > boon.
                      > >
                      > > allan

                      > Service.

                      =====
                      **************
                      Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago
                      ICQ: 5183191; AIM: richjob; http://chanderspot.go.to
                      calendar at http://calendar.yahoo.com/richjob

                      "I see dead websites."
                      http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

                      http://personals.yahoo.com
                    • Nolan Joseph
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                        A more intuitive interface, that's what. :)

                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                          Try sending a vi formatted resume to a prospective employer...
                          let me now if you get an interview.

                          Dunstan

                          > Just use VI or something, keep it simple :)
                          >
                          > all my dox are kept in pgp protected text files, i've never had a problem,
                          > small size, universal viewing...what more do yah need.
                          >
                          > ;)

                        • Dunstan Nesbit
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                            Good for you.. I guess vi works really well for you.

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                                What's not intuitive about VI, if its not yur tup of tea,try pico that
                                comes with pine, they both look great in a transparent XTERM.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Oct 16, 2001
                                      ABI is cute but has along way to go kword is better.
                                      Star Office is the best overall package just for Stardraw alone.