MDK & STAR OFF

  • Meng .
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 11, 2001
      i have pent the last day fooling with the following 2 toys
      mdk8.1 & star office 6.0 beta

      mdk 8.1 is sweeeet. lots of performance differences speedwise comparing to
      8.0 and
      so easy to configure. I my self thought i was on my win box. Its extremely
      eye catching.
      A not so smart person could configure this thing without watching.

      As for star office 6.0beta. Ist not even done and i think its a big winner.
      I have documents i am working on in office 2000(excel & word). I opened them
      made my changes
      and wow!! every thing looked identical.then for the big test,yes it made a
      perfect export with its
      2000/xp save option(it even selected the option its self). The spread sheet
      extract i had
      in my word document was even properly intact. I even added another just for
      sport. when i got back to
      windows it was a prefect copy.(i think i better stop. i try so much
      complicated things &
      get through it aint funny)you just have to try it for yourself. its lovely

    • Rich~!
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
        Funny you should say that. I have the next TTLUG meeting (21st October) and I was planning to
        do SO 6beta. Of course, since the Mandrake 8.1 came, I'll do a bit on that too.

        Installed it yesterday, and have been playing with it.

        It is a lot more friendly :-)

        THe acid test is to put it in front of a Windows person and see if he/she can use it and do the
        basic things.

        Of course, YMMV. AS you are on the cutting edge, there are some issues. My sound card
        works fine, but it is not detected as a SoundBlaster PCI 64, but some Japanese name.

        On 12 Oct 2001 at 6:19, Meng . wrote:

        > i have spent the last day fooling with the following 2 toys
        > mdk8.1 & star office 6.0 beta
        >
        > mdk 8.1 is sweeeet. lots of performance differences speedwise comparing to
        > 8.0 and
        > so easy to configure. I my self thought i was on my win box. Its extremely
        > eye catching.
        > A not so smart person could configure this thing without watching.
        >
        > As for star office 6.0beta. Ist not even done and i think its a big winner.
        > I have documents i am working on in office 2000(excel & word). I opened them
        > made my changes
        > and wow!! every thing looked identical.then for the big test,yes it made a
        > perfect export with its
        > 2000/xp save option(it even selected the option its self). The spread sheet
        > extract i had
        > in my word document was even properly intact. I even added another just for
        > sport. when i got back to
        > windows it was a prefect copy.(i think i better stop. i try so much
        > complicated things &
        > get through it aint funny)you just have to try it for yourself. its lovely

        **********************
        Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago.
        http://chanderspot.go.to ICQ 5183191
        ---------------------------------------

        This message is sent from my HOME account.
        For anyone who may be reading this, the opinions
        expressed here are mine, and not of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
        Any endorsement or non-endorsement of any good or service
        in this email is based on MY personal experiences and
        does not reflect the experiences of $LARGEWORKPLACE.
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001

          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
            The last time I used Wine under Mandrake, I had to copy some example file to wine.conf.

            Try the Codeweavers WINE files. They may be a bit easier to configure.

            **********************

            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
              It's Mandrake. Some people catch hell, some people think it is easy.

              **********************

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 12, 2001
                  Does anyone have mdk 8.1 for sale as yet or can I supply the blank cd's and
                  have it copied?

                  NMAL

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • next@browwwsers.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                    Tried the 6.0 works heaps better than he 5.2. Great for a beta.
                    Still a tad slow on loading but the lack of that desktop is a boon.

                    allan
                  • Kerry Panchoo
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                      yes i'm using Staroffice 6.0 beta right now- worsk very well- handles Word2000 files well-
                      with little formatting changes- thats an ordinary .doc file- i havent tried out anything
                      complex. All in all it is the BEST office suite available for linux. Also i should mention that
                      ABIword is also ok- worth looking at.

                      Kerry

                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                        Just to add in my 2 cents here, Gobe software are coming out with a
                        Linux version of their GoBe office productivity suite. Since Be
                        isn't going anywhere right now, the guys decided to port their
                        officeuite to Windows and Linux.

                        Normally, I wouldn't pimp this out like this, but these are the
                        original guys behind ClarisWorks. The coolest desktop code I ever
                        saw. Given the fact that they were doing stuff in 1992 that
                        Microsoft didn't do properly until about 1997, it is definitely worth
                        a look.

                        --- Kerry Panchoo <kpanchoo@...> wrote:
                        > yes i'm using Staroffice 6.0 beta right now- worsk very well-
                        > handles
                        > Word2000 files well-
                        > with little formatting changes- thats an ordinary .doc file- i
                        > havent
                        > tried out anything
                        > complex. All in all it is the BEST office suite available for
                        > linux.
                        > Also i should mention that
                        > ABIword is also ok- worth looking at.
                        >
                        > Kerry
                        >

                        > next@... wrote:
                        >
                        > > Tried the 6.0 works heaps better than he 5.2. Great for a beta.
                        > > Still a tad slow on loading but the lack of that desktop is a
                        > boon.
                        > >
                        > > allan

                        > Service.

                        =====
                        **************
                        Richard Jobity, Trinidad and Tobago
                        ICQ: 5183191; AIM: richjob; http://chanderspot.go.to
                        calendar at http://calendar.yahoo.com/richjob

                        "I see dead websites."
                        http://www.disobey.com/ghostsites/

                        http://personals.yahoo.com
                      • Nolan Joseph
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                          A more intuitive interface, that's what. :)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                            Try sending a vi formatted resume to a prospective employer...
                            let me now if you get an interview.

                            Dunstan

                            > Just use VI or something, keep it simple :)
                            >
                            > all my dox are kept in pgp protected text files, i've never had a problem,
                            > small size, universal viewing...what more do yah need.
                            >
                            > ;)

                          • Dunstan Nesbit
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                              Good for you.. I guess vi works really well for you.

                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001
                                  What's not intuitive about VI, if its not yur tup of tea,try pico that
                                  comes with pine, they both look great in a transparent XTERM.

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 15, 2001

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Oct 16, 2001
                                        ABI is cute but has along way to go kword is better.
                                        Star Office is the best overall package just for Stardraw alone.